Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera phone

Real Name
    Blake

Camera phone

To whoever suggested they add the phone to the camera rather than the camera to the phone, they're not quite there yet, but take a look.

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Pr...PIX-S800c.html

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Camera phone

Yup! Everything is coming together... Soon we will ave one unit, the size of a matchbox which will do everything our cameras, phones and tablets will do...

I just purchased an Android Based tablet (8" Vizio) with which which I can control my Canon DSLR cameras as well as do a bunch of other things. It has a still and a video camera but, I doubt that I will ever use those capabilities...

The nice thing about this tablet is that the GPS is stand-alone and I don't believe (I haven't played with it yet) that I need a connection to the internet to make it work.

This tablet needs WiFi to connect to the internet but, on the other hand, I don't need to pay another service charge to the phone company for using the tablet.

My wife has the iPad in case we are traveling and need remote internet acess.

This tablet has only a 2gb capacity but, it can use an additional 32 gb memory card.

It cost less than two hundred U.S. dollars at Costco...

Real Name
    Blake

It's amazing how the technology is progressing. My stance on tablets has always been that they simply don't have software useful enough to me to justify the expense. With the new Windows RT platform, though, that could change quickly, and the cost is really being driven down by people like Google and their at-cost Nexus 7 tablet.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Tough when all you want is to make a phone call for help after falling down and breaking your leg you have to make a video and send it and hope the recipient can see it......

Real Name
    Blake

That's more than your current compact can do

Real Name
    Robin

Dear Mr RnD man at Nikon,

Never mind putting Droid into your compacts, how about putting a nice big Retina screen on the back of my DSLR with super fast multi touch and App style menu access.

Ta very much.

BP

Real Name
    Richard

Dear Mr RnD man at Canon...

How about the following in the 7D class of cameras...

1. Dual memory cards
    2. ISO 50 or even ISO 25 so I can shoot at slow shutter speeds without needing a ND filter
    3. Audio recording capability linked to the image to record data
    4. Autofocus capability at f/8 so we can use the 400mm f/5.6L with 1.4x TC and retain autofocus
    5. Five shot AEB burst capability for better HDR Imagery
    6. Secondary shutter release button for vertical shots without needing the heavy and bulky battery grip

I realize that this would put the 7D class of camera in direct competition with the 1D (series) cameras.

Real Name
    Robin

1. It definitely should have this - Nikon's do and I wouldn't be without it.
    2. Might compromise high ISO's so not likely.
    3. Hmmm....could be done with a tiny firmware update so why the heck not.
    4. Oooo....you're right that would be stamping on the 1x's toes so it's possible but don't hold your breath.
    5. Again then Nikon bodies give you the choice of 3/5/7/9/11 shots so there's no reason not to tweak the firmware to offer this.
    6. Who would splash out on the grip?

There are loads of simple tweaks that the 7 could get...and my D300s for that matter...but the fact of the matter is Canon and Nikon want to sting us for a new and very expensive model. Going back to my phone analogy - how about being able to download apps to your DSLR to give it new features - I'd happily pay for good ones.

Real Name
    Blake

an OLED on the back of a DSLR would drain the battery, slow down the camera's processing time, and increase the cost for both the screen itself and for the processing upgrades to handle high res. That's before adding in apps and touch based menus...

Real Name
    Robin

Don't want an AMOLED screen (though they take virtually no power at all so wouldn't drain the battery) I want an IPS screen like the iPhone 4/4s. To be honest I'm not a fan of the current AMOLED screens in smart phones, can't put a finger on it I just don't like the way they render images.

If a basic processor in a smart phone/tablet can blast through images with no delays I don't see why a camera one can't do the same - I can load NEF files onto the iPad and it handles them flawlessly.

As to apps and touch processing, again a few hundred quid smart phone can do it so why not a £2k+ DSLR?

What I want is an interface like my iOS devices.
    Take a shot - double tap to zoom into 100% - pinch to zoom in and out of specific areas - swipe through images - very clearly laid out icon style menus that can be user organised so the 'home screen' has all the features I want and use on a daily basis.