Thread: A day at the beach II

Real Name
    Fernando Cascais

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: A day at the beach II

First I chuckled, thinking what interesting creatures humans are. Then I started to see all the juxtapositions at play here: contrasting light on the subjects, solitary vs group, young vs mature, motion vs stationary, foreground vs background subjects of equal import and both unaware of the other, shooting it tall to put it all into perspective, and a simple setting to offer no distraction. The more I look, the more I admire. I think this is brilliant. (Should you clone out the surfers on the left side?- just a very minor thought.

Kevin

Real Name
    Andrew

I enjoyed reading Kevin's comment as much as I enjoyed watching the photograph. Fernando, I've visited this image 4 times now, and I just now suddenly realized that I truly enjoy your style of imagery. Your use of negative, empty space really, really appeals to me. You truly have a 'style', which is something I strive for - in the future, people will be able to say "Yes, that is definitely a Fernando Cascais original", without even seeing your signature on it, and for that, I appreciate your work.

Thanks.

Edit ** - OK, so this is my 5th visit to the photo. I will disagree with Kevin on one point. For me, I would leave the surfers in. I understand the thinking that would lead one to want to take them out, but I personally don't agree with it. It is after all, a beach. There are bound to be other things happening at a beach. And I for one, think it adds to the juxtaposition of the image through foreground, background, and activity, non activity, and several (3) subjects co-existing unaware of each other - rule of 3's right?
    Last edited by Andrew76; 23rd August 2012 at 03:00 AM.

Real Name
    Joshua

I also like the use of negative space in the photo. I did enjoy reading Kevin's statement as well . I also agree that I would clone out the surfers, because they do distract from the subject in my opinion.

Real Name
    ruby

Fernando,

Such an interesting image. The "leading lines" are the splashes of white from the lady's hat, to the t-shirts, to the surf, creating a very strong triangular effect. I'll cast my vote for the cloning of the surfer- might have been an interesting adition but too remote and small to be considered an equal among your other strong elements. Well done,

Ruby

this is a brilliant image Fernando!

rarely I see a picture that really brake my breath as this one does!
    I'm voting for the "don't clone the surfer out"

Real Name
    Richard

I agree... this image is a jewel!

Real Name
    Gretchen

This photo is a jewel! Consider me pro-surfer.