Thread: Bronze Elk

Real Name
    Chuck

Bronze Elk

This bronze elk statue is at the entrance to the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson Hole, WY. I was going by at sunrise and stopped to take a photo.

Bronze Elk

Re: Bronze Elk

very dramatic pic I do like
    and the chosen light helps a lot

Real Name
    Bobo

I like it quite a bit but would have preferred a bit more space at the top and the left. They 2 figures seem constrained in that tight space especially in that vast background.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Nicola ad Bobo, I will have to go back another time and shoot the scene again. I choose to make it a tight because there is a building just to the left. I may be able to work around that. I do appreciate the input.

Chuck

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I don't remember ever disagreeing with Bobo, but I think the space on the left is fine. I actually wish there was more space on the right.

Thanks so much for sharing this image. The day that I saw that sculpture, the weather was bad.That explains why we were exploring the museum rather than enjoying the fabulous outdoors where you live. I don't suppose there is any chance that we could become best friends so my wife and I could stay at your home any time we want.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Chuck! I wonder, if you are going back to reshoot, would a lower shooting angle put the subjects a bit more above the background? If so, would it also minimize the road and fence which doesn't seem to quite fit the rest of the scene?

Real Name
    Chuck

Mike and Frank, thanks for the feedback. Mike, I'm glad you had a chance to visit the museum. It has a wonderful collection and often has traveling shows of photographers. The bronze is tough to shoot. Getting the right light and leaving out roads, buildings, fences, etc creates a real challenge. Frank, I think your suggestion of shooting from a lower angle is a really good idea. I don't think I will be able to do that soon but I will put it on my list. Appreciate the help, as usual.

Cheers, chuck

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

It's an interesting image for a documentary of a statue. You photographed someone else's art as the main subject, so it depends on your goal in shooting whether you achieved what you wanted. As a suggestion if you go back, try moving to the left and shooting the statue at more of an angle. It might make for a more dynamic composition. My two cents worth.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chuck,

I seem to have a different idea; I was going to suggest shooting from a slightly higher vantage point (if possible); the aim being to have the distant hill line not broken by the foreground rock the Elk are on.

I particularly like the right most two elk in front of that middle distance lit hillside.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Chuck

Ken, An interesting point about photographing someone else's art. I'm sure there are ethical issues that I have not considered. My goal in shooting the scene was to simply see if I could isolate the statue with good lighting while avoiding background objects that detract from the image. Ihad dinner last evening with a member of the museum Board of Directors. I told him about the photo and he suggested that the museum might be interested in using it for their publications. From my perspective it is a good challenge for me to practice my photography. I did try shooting from the left but then the museum building shows up in the photo. I will go back and try it again just to be sure. Thanks again for your help. - chuck

Real Name
    Chuck

Dave, I'll go scope it out. It is a beautiful statue that is a real challenge to photograph. Perhaps I will have to learn to use my Elements 10 better. - chucik

The picture does convey how fantastic those Elk are.