Thread: Riders of a different kind

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Riders of a different kind

Following on from serious cyclists, serious riders, well one at least.
    Actually my daughter on her 'pet' Bella, the first time they had jumped together.

Critiques welcomed.

Re: Riders of a different kind

Nice images, unfortunately the impact vest rather detracts from the look; is that a req't now? As far as comments go, not really much to say; like a lot of event photography, you have to take what you can get. These are nicely excuted and exposed (with the possible exception of the horses lower legs being cropped in #2)

both pics are very good in a quite and simple waybut very important to the photographer,cz his daughter is making her first jump my only advice is ......one must be very careful before clicking to see,if anything from the back ground, is sprouting out off the subjects headunfortunately both this pics have that problem its very distracting and disturbing for a viewer.

Real Name

You're both right of course

I guess I could clone out the sprouting distractions; there only being limited opportunity and a dose of pure chance to avoid it at time of capture in #1.

However, the bad framing (missing legs) can't be re-done later, I was just too tight.

I agree they're not 'works of art'.
    Must try harder for a discerning audience.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Myra

Hi Dave! Now you're talking my language! First, congrats to your daughter and Bella as they take on the jumps. Good girl for looking to the next jump in the first photo. Bella's ears and easy clearance suggest she is an honest mare who will carry your daughter as safely as possible. I really like that you've captured one that is not side on. Side on can be really tricky with timing and sometimes is not the most complimentary to the rider if their position is less than textbook. (And that would be 95%; myself included

Since these are low jumps, you're not going to get the arc/bascule you would from a higher jump. The beginning of the jump process looks just fine, here. I don't think you should worry about background when doing these types of shots as you're capturing the moment where and when it happens. I know that you know how to find a good background for a shot that will be framing material

If you're like me, sometimes the excitement of the moment (and you have about ten to twenty seconds between many jumps) trumps getting the shot set up perfectly. I can't tell you how many hockey shots I've messed up trying to figure out the best place to focus as a player comes roaring down the ice towards the opposing goalie.

Were you using aperture priority? I find that shutter priority works better for me as I need at least 1/500 to keep the blur away. If I stay in the same spot, manual works even better. If it's shady, I just bump the ISO.

Looking forward to seeing more horse photos. Hockey is just over for the year, so hopefully I'll have more time to visit CinC.

Myra

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Hi Dave! Now you're talking my language! First, congrats to your daughter and Bella as they take on the jumps. Good girl for looking to the next jump in the first photo. Bella's ears and easy clearance suggest she is an honest mare who will carry your daughter as safely as possible. I really like that you've captured one that is not side on. Side on can be really tricky with timing and sometimes is not the most complimentary to the rider if their position is less than textbook. (And that would be 95%; myself included

Were you using aperture priority? I find that shutter priority works better for me as I need at least 1/500 to keep the blur away. If I stay in the same spot, manual works even better. If it's shady, I just bump the ISO.

Looking forward to seeing more horse photos. Hockey is just over for the year, so hopefully I'll have more time to visit CinC.

Myra
    Hi Myra,

Nice to see you back again.

This was shot almost five years ago, so there won't be any more of Bella I'm afraid.

The camera was my old Fuji S6500 bridge camera the EXIF says "P mode"

The first was 1/450s though, at a FFE focal length of 170mm and f/3.8 and iso 100.
    The second was 1/300s at f/4.3, at FFE 300mm and iso 100.

Here's one from 2010 (not my daughter)
    D5000 (DSLR), 82mm (FFE 125mm), 1/1500s, f/8, iso 800.

So it looks like I had (by then) learnt about "bumping the iso" and using a faster shutter speed

I must try the gee gees again this year.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Myra

Oh! I didn't even look at the date as it had popped up in the newer posts. Sorry! You've nailed the 2010 shot. And here I thought I could be helpful<LOL>!

Winters are pretty busy here with work and hockey and stall mucking. Hopefully I can drop back in now and then with spring just around the corner!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Oh! I didn't even look at the date as it had popped up in the newer posts. Sorry! You've nailed the 2010 shot. And here I thought I could be helpful<LOL>!
    Not to worry, it'll no doubt help someone - and I wouldn't say I nailed it that well even in 2010, the jump looks sharper than the rider - in fact I wondered whether I had even panned (I must have) - but as you'll know, with all the complex relative motions of horse and different bits of rider (feet, face, etc.) while going over a jump, you can't follow them all, so an even faster shutter speed may be necessary when close like this

Cheers,

Real Name
    Christina

Looks like you nailed it to me.. Beautiful shot.