Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lamorna - Re-edit

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Lamorna - Re-edit

My earlier posting of an image of Lamorna Cove has been re-edited with the theme of The Newlyn School of Art in mind. Several of leading artists lived and worked at Lamorna including Sir Alfred Munnings and Dame Laura Knight.

Artists were attracted to Lamorna for several reasons, the quality of the light, the beauty of the landscape and the solitude. I have tried to express a feeling of solitude, although some may feel the lack of a specific point of interest (pirate ship perhaps) a disadvantage.

It was only when doing some close up editing did I notice the small boy sitting on the rocks. I have left him in to add to scale.

I would be interested in your views as to whether I have succeeded and for any suggestions you may have to improve the image.

Lamorna - Re-edit

Re: Lamorna - Re-edit

Looks good for what you intended to convey, Chris. Bright light and bold colours.

The cloud is just sufficient to break up what would otherwise have been too much blue.

The only slight problem that I can see is on the far right side where a few of the blacks seem a little clipped. But that might simply be my cheap monitor.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

For some reason, the right third, particularly the rocks but also the sky, seem significantly bluer than the rest of the image. Maybe my monitor is acting up.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks guys. - I suspect the problems with the right hand side have of occured because I have not edited the blue out as strongly as I should have. This is two images stitched together, the right hand one for some reason being much bluer than the left. I now need to match them up.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Thanks guys. - I suspect the problems with the right hand side have of occured because I have not edited the blue out as strongly as I should have. This is two images stitched together, the right hand one for some reason being much bluer than the left. I now need to match them up.
    Ahh! I've had similar issues and traced the source down to using Aperture Priority for Panos. The differences in the exposure can change the colours and makes colour matching in post processing very difficult. The solution in my case was to get an average scene exposure locked down with Manual Mode, then take all of the panel images with idential camera settings.

If there is a wide range of EV values across the scene, I will try using exposure bracketing for all of the Manual Mode images. This way I can blend the results in post processing if needed.

If I need the exposure bracketing images, I prefer to create multiple panos, one from each exposure value, then blend the resulting exposure panos as needed.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 22nd August 2012 at 05:15 PM.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks Frank - that all makes sound sense. I was using Aperture Priority.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

I matched the right hand side with the left and found that the overall colour of the granite rocks was too much, so I have changed that to have a more granite feel. I checked out the granite by googling Lamorna and looking in "Images of Lamorna Cove".

I have posted both images below and would appreciate any comments, particularly on the second image. Thank you for your forbearance.

Lamorna - Re-edit

I feel the colour of the rocks is too strong.

Lamorna - Re-edit

Final version with a more realistic granite colour.

Certainly more realistic now; although I think you have lost something of the artistic interpretation of the 'Newlyn School'