Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Minolta Auto Meter III and a Gossen Sixtomat Digital Light Meter

Real Name
    Russell

Minolta Auto Meter III and a Gossen Sixtomat Digital Light Meter

Hi, OK as stated above I have purchased both these meters from good old Ebay with a grand layout of £98.50
    (approx $150) not arrived as yet but fingers crossed and I think I got a good deal. As I want to get into the hand held meter brigade can anyone give me any feedback on these meters especially the Gossen as I see them up for well over £67.50 (approx $105) that I paid for this meter.
    I will only be using these outside Land/seascapes.
    Many Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Minolta Auto Meter III and a Gossen Sixtomat Digital Light Meter

Except for studio work I cannot see why I would want to use an external meter when I have the range of metering options within my camera.... it is not the meter that is important but rather how you use it and interpret the information it is giving you, hand held or built in. Certainly I would rate the spot meter in the camera more useful for your stated needs.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm not quite sure why you bought both as they perform the same kind of metering. Your camera will give you the reflective functionality of both meters, but you might find the incident capabilities useful in some situations, especially in ambient light portraiture. I do use an incident light meter and flash meter on occasion.

Real Name
    Russell

Thank you for the replies.
    As I posted in another thread.
    Landscape shooting with a light meter Video Tutorial
    http://www.sekonic.com/Classroom/Web...otography.aspx
    Thanks again
    Russ

Real Name
    Paul

They do both seem to perform the same sort of function so maybe get some money back and sell one on Ebay I find incident light metering extremely useful and accurate and I'm never without mine. Ditto for my spot meter, a 1 degree spot is really useful for nailing those highlights particularly in landscape photography.
    Example, just this Sunday I decided to take the camera to our village fete (waste of pixels as it turned out). I was bracketing three shots to try and get a decent exposure with the camera metering, finally I resorted to incident metering with my Sekonic and got the exposure spot on first try.
    If the Minolta (or the Gossen) does incident and flash you might find that really useful for the occasional portrait and for when you take a flash out into the landscape to supplement the light.
    Welcome to the hand held meter brigade