Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bambi's daddy C&C appreciated!!!

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Bambi's daddy C&C appreciated!!!

I have been wanting a good picture of this buck since the first time I saw him. Tonight, I finally got what I was after. Would have loved to have had better light to use a lower ISO and a faster shutter speed, but I am pretty happy with the results. Comments and Critique appreciated.

Bambi's daddy      C&C appreciated!!!

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Bambi's daddy C&C appreciated!!!

I love the fuzz on his antlers! My Dear Ole' Dad would have said that a 4 point buck was a little young to hunt tho. Can you fix the levels on the grass? It looks like his hooves are disappearing in to thin air! I love his head --so noble and graceful!

Thanks for posting!

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

4 point, or 4x4, or eight point as it is called here in Texas has nothing to do with the age of the deer. Antlers, and the number of them have to do with genetics. Judging by his swayed back, belly, and battle scars I would guess this deer to be in the five to six year old range. Either way, here's a new crop of him and a couple of others I worked on yesterday.

This doe seems to be rather perturbed that I was taking her picture. She gave me that look over her shoulder like "please go away!"

Real Name
    james

I hope you can get a good shot of him in rut. He will look massive when his neck and shoulders swell! I like it when the bachelors are hanging together. Do you have a chance to shoot him in morning, might be able to get him in that "golden glow" Around here we call that an 8 pointer. I believe by measuring the length the main beams protrude forward past the eyes is a good age determiner as most the young 8s I see they almost grow straight up.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    I hope you can get a good shot of him in rut. He will look massive when his neck and shoulders swell! I like it when the bachelors are hanging together. Do you have a chance to shoot him in morning, might be able to get him in that "golden glow" Around here we call that an 8 pointer. I believe by measuring the length the main beams protrude forward past the eyes is a good age determiner as most the young 8s I see they almost grow straight up.
    He's an 8 here in Texas as well. Length of the main beams is a good determining factor. Body structure is another good way to determine age for bucks as well as does. That swayed back and thick mid section tell me is a mature deer. Either way, I imagine he will be safe where he lives. All of these deer live right at the edge of the city limit and will probably stay tucked safely out of harms way when deer season starts. I can dream though, I would love to have this guy at 25 or 30 yards with my bow at full draw.

KHarmon