Thread: Sharing my first dslr images

Real Name
    Krisztina

Sharing my first dslr images

So I had rented the 2 lenses for 4 days, but ended up using the 135mm more than the 24-70mm... lack of time I didnt get full use of both.... here are some photos I took, and post processed- still using the free editing programs... (and had to make them jpegs to edit them- I have more, just haven't edited them all- they were taken in RAW)
    Camera: Canon 5D 12.8 mp, 135mm lens
    We made it to the beach:
    1. Sharing my first dslr images

2. Sharing my first dslr images

3.Sharing my first dslr images

4.Sharing my first dslr images

5. Sharing my first dslr images

6. At a fam- get together:

Real Name
    randy

Re: Sharing my first dslr images

Last two take the prize

Real Name
    Paul

I agree and for me the very last edges to the top.

Real Name
    Gretchen

THe kids are so cute, the quality of the image doesn't matter

Seriously, tho, very nice.

Can you clone out the "manufacturers data information" on the top of the round intertube on the last pic? Just an observation.

I like the sand on the little leg best.
    Last edited by ggt; 18th August 2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: forgot something

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Very good start, Krisztina. Surprisingly, the white vignette worked nicely on #1 but didn't work for me on #2 and 4. Once you become familiar with your camera, that's the time you can be free to concentrate more on your shots and composition. Keep up the good work!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That is a very impressive first set with the new camera. Well done. All of those are high quality pieces of work in terms of the thought that has gone into the composition and the creative compositions that they are. They are way above the 'snapshot-on-the-beach' that, to be honest, might have resulted from a first use of new gear. Great work.

Interestingly, picking up on Willie's point, I read an article in the photo magazine to which I subscribe. It was a list of those 'must-never-do-in-photography' things. One of them was using a light vignette. The argument was that the sole purpose of a vignette is to darken up around the edges so that attention is thrown into the centre are of the frame.

I've used a light vignette very occasionally and liked it and I think the examples above illustrate that, that when used properly on the right images, it works very well.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Very good start, Krisztina. Surprisingly, the white vignette worked nicely on #1 but didn't work for me on #2 and 4. Once you become familiar with your camera, that's the time you can be free to concentrate more on your shots and composition. Keep up the good work!
    Thank You Willie- I agree the white vignette usually looks horrible- but for some reason I thought it kinda worked- the dreamy effect- remembering the first time to the beach kinda deal ( it was actually my daughters second time, my sons first)...will usually stay away from it!
    About composition- YES! I do need to get to know my camera better!! I remember hoping I have good settings set up on my camera, plus trying to keep other beach goers out of my shot- and having to be quick- capture as much as I can of them getting out to the water - my hands also felt super shakey- was I that nervous?! It all went down in matter of 5 minutes or so- before I decided to put the camera away- did not want water nor sand on the gear (ESPECIALLY the rented lenses) Plus I figured I better help my husband with the kids out on the water: the waves were pretty strong! And my son has no fear, kept want to go all the way in
    I appreciate your input, thank you!!

Real Name
    Krisztina

Thank You, Donald Means a lot!! I will try a different edit instead of using the white... and post the results I came up with.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Here is a quick re-edit. Better??

* Regarding the white vignetting used in several photo edits- I kinda wanted to keep the same feel/look throughout my images so that the "album" is consistent ; so one doesn't look totally different/have a totally different mood/look to it than the others...
    Do you know what I mean? So, If did use a dark vignette on one, does it necessarily mean all the others should go along the same lines? I guess I need to figure out a good balance between the two?? Any advice, tips would help- Thank you, again!