Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Prairie Dog portrait

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Prairie Dog portrait

Prairie Dog portrait Nikon D70s, Nikon 500mm f4, 1/200 @ f13

These large rodents were the scourge of the Southwestern US during the 19 and early 20th century. Ranchers and farmers considered them pests because of their large "towns" of 1 acre or more. Their mounds and holes were the cause of broken legs to cattle and horses. The result was almost complete extermination. Today very few Prairie Dog towns remain on private property. This photograph was taken at a large Prairie Dog town in the Wichita Wildlife Refuge located in Southwestern Oklahoma where they are protected by law.
    Last edited by redrew; 17th August 2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: add one Prairie Dog photo

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Prairie Dog portrait

I first saw these in South Dakota and along with the dry climate wondered why anyone would try to conquer that part of the world on a horse? Then I remembered: Gold!

This little guy is cute. How long did you have to wait for his head to pop-up? I don't think I'd have the patience --or I'd get to excited when he did and blur the picture!!

Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Re: Prairie Dog portrait

Gretchen, they pop up and down, run around until one of their number gives an alarm bark, then they immediately go for a hole and stay down for several minutes. This one was just taking a peek at me to see what I was up to.