Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunsets

Real Name
    Bobo

Sunsets

I try to avoid landscapes as much as possible as most of the time they suck (nah! all the time they suck). I do try but it never works out.

Anyway our sunsets for the past 2 days were pretty good so could not resist trying.

1. "Landscapy" bird shot actually - mid left is a great blue heron and a night heron. There was a third between the 2 but he probably ducked out of the shot.
    Sunsets

Sunsets

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sunsets

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    1. "Landscapy" bird shot actually
    Don't kid us on. It was really another bird shot, but you messed up on the focal length!

That 'thing' (is it a fountain?) in the middle of the pond would have to go (and its reflection) and I'd suggest that the edge of the water is too much on the centre line of the image. I think that is responsible for effectively making it two images. It really cuts it in half.

I think there is a lot of very lovely tones and textures in those trees that a crop could throw more attention onto, by taking out that area of reflected sky at the bottom of the frame. That also then lowers edge of the water in the frame.

The second one - That's a beauty. That, I think, is the finished article. Don't touch it.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I'll second Donald's comment on the second image, very nice work Bobo. It's not a typical sunset shot - it has it's own character.

Dave

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Don't kid us on. It was really another bird shot, but you messed up on the focal length!
    Thanks Donald, you got me there. Yes, it was supposed to be and then saw the clouds move out, zoomed and backed away for the shot. And.... then forgot to get the shot that I was going for.

Thanks Dave. That scene is unconventional but was too hard not to take a shot of. It is in fact an 8 image vertical/horizontal pano.

Per Donald's comments. The redo - the hazard light and bottom reflection is removed and cropped as suggested.

Sunsets

2. With a bit of adjustment
    Sunsets

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    2. With a bit of adjustment
    Sunsets
    That, I think, has become a very, very good image. The effect is that the lighting on the trees has now been enhanced and really takes the image up a couple of rungs on the ladder.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Donald. Your advice has always been spot on and has helped me greatly all these months.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Really gorgeous revised version, Bobo. By the way, I mistook that for an image of a dragonfly. Very surprised to learn that you were focusing on the birds.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mike

Real Name
    Paul

Love that powerline image Bobo. Definately nothing more to do there.