Thread: 1st Attempt at HDR

Real Name
    Debbie

1st Attempt at HDR

Hi All,

This is one of my very first attempts at HDR photography. Taken at my local Heritage Park school classroom.

Edited in Photomatix. I like it, does anybody else? Please let me know how I am going with HDR?

Debbie

1st Attempt at HDR

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: 1st Attempt at HDR

Hey Debbie - I really like this shot. It has been processed nicely - I like really contrasty/surreal images, and this fits the criteria quite well.

I don't see a 'huge' dynamic range mind you.... So could it have been tone mapped to look like this even with a single shot?

How many shots did you use, and what EV + - values, if you don't mind me asking, of course.

Good work!

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Hey Debbie - I really like this shot. It has been processed nicely - I like really contrasty/surreal images, and this fits the criteria quite well.

I don't see a 'huge' dynamic range mind you.... So could it have been tone mapped to look like this even with a single shot?

How many shots did you use, and what EV + - values, if you don't mind me asking, of course.

Good work!
    I used 7 shots 1 EV apart, 1 correct and 3 under and 3 over. I don't think I would have been able to expose for the outside and inside with just one image but again I am new to HDR so maybe you could.

Real Name
    Andrew

Debbie, for the same reasons Andrew says he likes it, contrasty and surreal, are the reasons I don't. I like the capabilities of HDR processing but appreciate the results which are closer to reality. You'll get that difference of opinion when you start moving away from the plain-Jane technical and compositional aspects of photography. Only you can decide what is your preference creatively so as Andrew suggests, include your technical manipulation information so those who are interested in the HDR process can help you learn and develop your style.

Real Name
    John

Hi Debbie,
    IMO this is a fantastic shot, that has been processed very well.
    I will certainly be watching out for more of this type of work from you over the coming weeks.
    Very well done.
    I enjoyed viewing.

Real Name
    Andrew

Good point Debbie. It's a keeper!

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hey! This is a wonderful shot, IMO! As mentioned by Andrew, HDR (for contrasty/surreal images) is something like "love it or hate it". I am on the lovers side. Congrats and keep on shooting. I might be able to try some HDR soon, as I am going on vacation tomorrow and will have time for that! Hope I could do half as good as you did on this shot, Debbie...
    Last edited by Otavio; 17th August 2012 at 12:07 AM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Debbie: I am with Andrew, when I first started doing HDR images, I leaned towards the effect that you are getting. To not get me wrong I do like these kinds of shots and not all images work this way. I have found myself going more towards using DR to get as Andrew states "but appreciate the results which are closer to reality". this I find is harder to do and is an learing experence starting as you have. I have some images that beg that the contrasty and surreal look and when used just blow me away. So keep working on what it is what you like.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Debbie, it's a wonderful first HDR processed image. HDR is perfect for this application where the light coming in the windows is so bright compared to other areas in the room. My only suggestion is to keep experimenting with Photomatix's controls. Right now, the image looks like an HDR image, but with the 7 blended images, you might get it to look more natural. I still have to keep playing with the settings until I get my images to look natural. For me, every scene needs a different tweak. I don't have enough experience with it to get it right the first time, every time.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Debbie, HDR processing takes a bit of experience, particularly in post processing after the tonemapping in Photomatix to get a good rendition and you are well on your way!

Don't become discouraged if not everyone likes the result, you usually can't get everyone to agree on ANY image. As you get better at applying your shooting and post processing techniques, folks won't be able to tell what techniques you used unless, like this image, you simply couldn't have done it without multiple exposures. You are correct in that you would not have been able to capture the inside and outside brightness ranges in a single image with today's equipment.

Tonemapping can tend to make foliage look slightly 'electric', overly darken clouds, produce halos around high contrast edges, and turn skin tones sickly. This image has none of those issues but when you find that they occur, they can be addressed in post processing.

You will find that you don't need to have the EV's one stop apart but if your camera only does 1EV increments for exposure bracketing, Photomatix can still handle 1 EV increments quite easily. In fact, I've experimented with as many as 11 exposures of the same image and it still works just fine in Photomatix.

Most of the tonemapping benefit will be available with -2, 0, and +2EV unless you are shooting directly into the sun in which case up to -4, -2, 0, +2 & +4 EV or even -6, -3, 0, +3, & +6 EV may be needed. My Nikon D3100 doesn't have exposure bracketing so I am free to manually choose whatever EV settings work best in a given situation without having to capture too many images.

To answer your question; Yes, I do like it - and it shows progress in striving toward your goal of learning how and where to apply HDR techniques.

Real Name
    Debbie

I'm sure you will. Have fun with it

Real Name
    Debbie

Thank you Frank,
    I agree it comes down to what you are trying to produce. And what you like.

I will try the settings on what you have suggested above and give another go.

I think how and when to use HDR is probably the biggest learning point for me. I guess you can use it anytime but what makes a good HDR is what I am not sure of yet.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by wommby View Post
    I think how and when to use HDR is probably the biggest learning point for me. I guess you can use it anytime but what makes a good HDR is what I am not sure of yet.
    If you haven't seen it yet, here is a link to a free HDR tutorial. http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

He has a complete 11 hour paid HDR tutorial as well but the free one should get you moving in an organized manner if you feel you can use it.

Some folks try to use HDR techniques on scenes that can easily be captured with a single properly exposed image but if they stick with it, they eventually learn that HDR, like any technique, works best when applied to scenes that can benefit from the technique. In this case, it is usually scenes that have a High Dynamic Range and can't be effectively captured without exposure bracketing.

Not to fret. Don't be afraid to experiment and see what works well and what doesn't. It's all part of the learning experience so go ahead, break the rules, and enjoy the experience. The more 'what if' questions you ask yourself, then the more 'let’s try and see what happens' experiences you will have, and the more knowledgeable and proficient you will become.

Real Name
    Tommy

I really like this Debbie. I think you've given it just the correct amount of treatment and I suppose it is as close to what the eye would se,e if you were actually there, as you're gonna get. I wouldn't push it any further though.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wommby View Post
    Please let me know how I am going with HDR?
    As others have suggested, you seem to be going wonderfully well.

Of course you can and will refine your technique and workflow and how much 'effect' you want to dial in, but in terms of becoming competent with the basics of what it's about and how to do it well, you are definitely well on you way. What I find most amazing is your statement that this is one of your first. That is, in my view, high quality work for someone just starting out using this method of image-making.

Real Name
    Dave

I'm not a fan of the surreal look of some HDR photos, but I think the effect (almost of the period) with subject is very good. I think it would look good converted to B&W or as a sepia photo.

I'm not against HDR - it is just another photographic technique - far from it as I use it a lot (just checked and found about half of my landscape shots on CiC are a combination of 3 or 5 shots run through Photomatix), and I try to go for a hardly noticeable look.

However, your treatment here works well.

Dave

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    As others have suggested, you seem to be going wonderfully well.

Of course you can and will refine your technique and workflow and how much 'effect' you want to dial in, but in terms of becoming competent with the basics of what it's about and how to do it well, you are definitely well on you way. What I find most amazing is your statement that this is one of your first. That is, in my view, high quality work for someone just starting out using this method of image-making.
    This shot was about my 5th set of images that I shot on the first day I tried shooting for HDR. Thanks for your comments.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    I'm not a fan of the surreal look of some HDR photos, but I think the effect (almost of the period) with subject is very good. I think it would look good converted to B&W or as a sepia photo.

I'm not against HDR - it is just another photographic technique - far from it as I use it a lot (just checked and found about half of my landscape shots on CiC are a combination of 3 or 5 shots run through Photomatix), and I try to go for a hardly noticeable look.

However, your treatment here works well.

Dave
    Dave, I think when I try something new I always appear to like the extreme of it. I guess over time I will try and see what I can do with images and keep them looking more photographic than artistic. Just love the learning process and am having lots of fun with it.