Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hot Air Baloon

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Hot Air Balloon

Canon 50D, Canon 300mm f4, 1/1600 @ f4 Hot Air Baloon
    Last edited by redrew; 16th August 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Hot Air Baloon

Hi, Rollin

Lovely colors, perfectly saturated. Nicely timed to capture the flame at full burn. I do note that the point of focus appears to be on the balloon surface itself rather than the pilot and basket. Was that a specific choice and preference? I dont have access to your EXIF data, but a narrower aperture might have have extended your DoF to include the basket, and certainly their appears to have been sufficient light to do so.

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Kevin, you are certainly correct that there was plenty of light that morning to have brought the basket and pilot into a deeper DOF. This fellow was flying his balloon (properly spelled this time) over my house at a very low altitude. I heard him coming and quickly grabbed my 50D, put on my 300mm set the mode to AV and hoped for the best. I got the photo just as he crossed over my house. Had I had more time to prepare I would have closed down the aperture more. I was trying to emphasize the balloon rather than its occupants for the brilliant color.

Real Name
    Joe

This is what color photography is, wonderful saturated colors. Beautiful image.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That's impressive. I agree with Joe's analysis - Colour photography should be about colour.

Real Name
    Richard

Great image. Tell you the truth, I didn't even notice that the gondola was a bit soft. My attention was directed at the balloon itself and the magnificent colors and shape. The red design of the lower portion of the balloon directed my vision upwards. Great cropping BTW...

I tend to leave my camera on Programmed exposure and ISO 320 between shots. I usually, then switch to Aperture priority and an appropriate ISO when shooting but, "P" and ISO 320 will give me the best chance of grabbing a quick shot when I don't have time or the mental accuity to adjust my camera properly.

I absolutely love hot air balloon images. The Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta in New Mexico which takes place in the Fall is absolutely beautiful, almost visually overloading. The wonderful thing about this magnificent two-day event is that the spectators can wander out in the launch area among the launching balloons. That is great for photography (see my smugmug gallery link below) especially at the pre-dawn launch. It was cold as heck but, the adrenaline kept me warm. If anyone has a chance to attend this wonderful event, I highly recommend it...

http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Travel/AL...523400&k=TtRfP

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Thanks Richard, Albuquerque's Hot Air Balloon Fiesta is a photographer's delight and though I have not attended, National Geographic always publishes some of the photography which I enjoy. Oklahoma City is pretty windy so seeing a hot air balloon is somewhat of a novelty.