Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: African Wild Dog / Painted Wolf

Real Name
    Dave

African Wild Dog / Painted Wolf

On safari in Zambia earlier this year, we were treated to the best viewing of wild dog I have seen in many visits to Africa. I have loads of images, many in the standard "standing up, ears cocked" pose, but for some reason this one particularly appeals.

I would welcome feedback, especially on the crop. I don't usually like half-and-half pictures, but the reflection seems to make it necessary.

African Wild Dog / Painted Wolf

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: African Wild Dog / Painted Wolf

I like the composition, aspect ratio, position of the dog and the use of consistent tones throughout the entire image.

Real Name
    Paul

I am with Mike, quite pleasing image in it's subtleties.

Real Name
    Gretchen

very cool! Keep the reflection. I'm glad I'm not a fish in that shallow water --he looks like an expert predator!

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Dave, personally I like the composition because it's different from the usual Wild Dog portrait of as you said "cocked ears" looking at the camera and straight away it draws me in. You have also captured the reflection and movement in the water as the dog is about to drink that also adds interest to the image. Finally I think the colours of the dog are spot on - well done, I presume this was early morning/late afternoon.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Ditto to all of the above. This one is a 'keeper.' We have a stack of roos living around us and one gets 'bored' with the commonality of their 'standard poses' which you allude to with the wild dogs you see. But once in a while, if you are lucky, you may happen to be in the right place at the right time, and get something stunningly different and out of the ordinary. And you have scored one here! The reflection is great, as is the lighting and the colours, the ' intimacy of the dog with its surroundings' as it goes about its business ... there is just so much going for this shot. Thank you for sharing