Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Real Name
    Richard

Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Hello all it's been a while, I've decided after not having the time to do any photography for a while owing to work and a long term sick partner that it was about time to pick up my camera again. I recently moved to Winchester so over the last week I've gone out and taken a few shots. I'd love to get your your views on them and ideas for what I can do.

Cathedral Cloisters:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Winchester Highstreet:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

A Couple Overlooking the Cathedral:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

The Same Couple:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

St Catherine's Hill:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Approach to the Cathedral:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

View from St Giles Hill:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

St John's Church:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Parchment Street Entrance:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Cathedral Panorama:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Interior of St Swithun's Church:
    Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Real Name
    Jason

Re: Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Hello Richard,

I like all the shots but that first one is an absolute cracker, sorry I can not give any more technical help than that.

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Hi Richard,

The 1st and 3rd are wonderful shots, 3rd is art like with the soft effect given by the snow. You have really captured the romance in that picture and I'm sure if you showed the couple they would buy it from you.

Real Name
    Gretchen

I really like the first one as well!

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks, I like the first one too hence putting it at the top

I actually chased after the couple as they left and emailed them the photo, I didn't ask for money though.

Does anyone have any thoughts on post processing the images or any ideas to go and look for in this kind of setting?

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Nice shots, Richard. Too many shots to comment on individually.

Real Name
    Richard

Nice collection of shots. I like them all but, I like the color version of the couple better than the B&W image...

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Richard

No 9 (St John's Church) is the stand-out for me. Great image IMO. My only suggestion is to add a bit of Local Contrast Enhancement (if you haven't already done so). I tried Unsharp Mask at 250 pixel radius and 15% with no threshold and it seemed to work quite well.

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks again. Richard I'm not sure which I prefer but I was really pleased by the low contrast look of the cathedral in the black and white image. I'm going to have to go back there and see what it's like when not shooting directly into strong sunlight.

Dave thanks for the suggestion, I had already applied some LCE but I think I was a bit timid so I've gone back and applied it at the maximum pixel radius on 15% and it's much better .

Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Real Name
    Richard

Does anyone think this shot has any merit? I really liked the bunting and I went to some effort to mask it all out and brighten them slightly for emphasis but I'm not sure about the street. I didn't think I could get the shallow depth of field to pick out just the front bunting (using a canon 18-55 kit lens). I was thinking of trying to retake it when the shadow doesn't fall in the centre of the road and maybe without cars if it ever happens but not sure if it's worthwhile or not. Is there any post processing technique that would be worth applying?

Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Real Name
    Gretchen

This last one has great angles. I wonder what it would look like if you just B&W the newer building and green grass in the background --leaving the brown, white, concrete if the front building intact. I might look like you were selecting the bright flags and pink storefront. Would be kind of cool because it wasn't a B&W, but other dark and neutrals. Does that make sense?

ggt

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    This last one has great angles. I wonder what it would look like if you just B&W the newer building and green grass in the background --leaving the brown, white, concrete if the front building intact. I might look like you were selecting the bright flags and pink storefront. Would be kind of cool because it wasn't a B&W, but other dark and neutrals. Does that make sense?

ggt
    I think I see what you mean, I've given it a try but I don't think it works all that well (at least the way I've done it), I think I'm a little jaded by selective colour generally to go much further than that. I think it's possibly an idea to remember and a photograph to forget.

Winchester (C&C Welcome)

I took another shot on the way home today, light was very flat so I've burned it a bit, I didn't have a tripod so i held it down on the pond wall with mirror lockup and a 2 second exposure (longest I could get retaining sky detail) to smooth out the water ripples. I was pretty pleased with how sharp it came out

Winchester (C&C Welcome)

Real Name
    Gretchen

Yeah, Rich I think you are correct. Everything would have to be the same color --could you make it all brown and white? That might work. I really like the picture, just wish you could crop out the modern buildings in the back. Just doesn't seem to fit.

Where is the 2nd picture? --way cool!

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Yeah, Rich I think you are correct. Everything would have to be the same color --could you make it all brown and white? That might work. I really like the picture, just wish you could crop out the modern buildings in the back. Just doesn't seem to fit.

Where is the 2nd picture? --way cool!
    I'll have a play later. The 2nd picture is of Peninsular Barracks which is the Headquarters of "The Rifles" (formally the "Royal Green Jackets") which is the British Army's light infantry regiment. Coincidentally they were the sponsor regiment to my cadet unit when I was at school.