Thread: Moving Printer ICC Profiles from one computer to another

Moving Printer ICC Profiles from one computer to another

I am transferring all my photography to a new PC computer I am using CS5 and in both cases Windows7.
    I have done most of the work, but would like some help/advice regarding the way I should copy my printer ICC profiles to the new PC.

My old PC files are located:- C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color and currently had 69 profiles listed.

My new PC files are listed in the same location and already has 59 profiles before loading the ones I have created on my old PC. (this will be about another 25) I shall be using my same monitor. I have already recalibrated this with the new set-up.

Is it just a case of copying them from one PC to the other? Currently both PC are linked together via a network cable.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Moving Printer ICC Profiles from one computer to another

There are two ways to do this:

1. Re-load the profiles from the manufacturer's websites and the profiles will be installled in the appropriate location on your new machine. The advantage here is that you will get any updated profiles, should there have been any changes.; or

2. Copy from your old machine using Windows Explorer and paste into the same directory on your new machine. You will have to restart your software for the profiles to be accessible. Photoshop loads profiles when it starts up and won't "see" the transfered profiles unless you do this.

Real Name
    Alex

On Windows 7 you can simply right click the .icc file and select 'Install Profile'. Windows will copy it to the correct location.

Or, as you suggest, you can copy them there yourself.

Alex

Manfred & Alex, many thanks for your replies, firtstly I can't download these profiles as the majority have been created by myself and others specially for my own set-up many by a numbers of paper manufactures etc. Obviously copying via explorer over the network will be the best option. I just needed this confirmation.
    Many thanks

Real Name
    Allan Short

Yes that it what I did, copied to a USB drive, move to the new computer and pasted then into the correct folder.

Cheers:

Allan