Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sleepless Swan

Real Name
    Marc

Sleepless Swan

the day slowly fades away...any hints for improving this composition? simplicity, but i like it that way.

Sleepless Swan

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Sleepless Swan

Hi, Marc

Nice image. Perhaps cloning out the dark shadows on the extreme right side would both give the swan a little more room on his left, and contribute to the simplicity by eliminating a nonessential element?

Real Name
    Marc

Hi Kevin,

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi Marc,

I like this image a lot. The only things that I think detracts from the simplicity of it all are all the little surface bubbles on the water. I took it into Photoshop and used the spot healing brush to remove as many as I could. Granted this is a sloppy 2 minute job. I am sure if you took more care you could do a better job, but it gives you a quick idea of what I mean.

Thanks for posting

Sleepless Swan

View it in the lightbox and then switch between the two in order to see the difference clearly.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Very dramatic. Which, I think works because it is a swan. Not sure it would work as well with another bird. I love how the shadow on his neck seems to continue onto the water in front of him. It could probably use a big more contrast to make his white feather pop a bit more. I'm not the best to advise on this . . .

needless to say, I like the composition a lot.

Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Hi Marc,

I like this image a lot. The only things that I think detracts from the simplicity of it all are all the little surface bubbles on the water. I took it into Photoshop and used the spot healing brush to remove as many as I could. Granted this is a sloppy 2 minute job. I am sure if you took more care you could do a better job, but it gives you a quick idea of what I mean.

Thanks for posting

View it in the lightbox and then switch between the two in order to see the difference clearly.
    thanks tommy, great idea. i thought mostly about the composition and the "sundance" lightning, also the swan but not these bubbles...have my raw file and will improve it. no offence, i've seen the difference very clear without comparsion of both images directly. well, i like the tones, mood...and it matches perfectly my grey/dark grey gnome 2 desktop here.

greetings
    marc

Real Name
    Tommy

No offence taken! I did a very quick job to show the difference. I know that if a bit more care and time was spent on it then it would be better, but if I'd done that then I would have taken all the fun away from you!

I think I also agree with Gretchen that you could lift the brightness on the swan a bit too, to balance the strong light on the water on the left of the frame.

Real Name
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    No offence taken! I did a very quick job to show the difference. I know that if a bit more care and time was spent on it then it would be better, but if I'd done that then I would have taken all the fun away from you!

I think I also agree with Gretchen that you could lift the brightness on the swan a bit too, to balance the strong light on the water on the left of the frame.
    you're right, thanks for the hints. i was editing out the air bubbles with PS within 20-25mins yesterday.
    perfect would the shot into my eyes when i'd have had the silhouette of the swan neck completely onto the water in the bottom right side, also a bit more into the upper left side with the sun onto the reflections...but rarely a shot is "perfect", and so is life. about the swan, i'll try it...already had lifted
    selective the brightness via viveza plugin.