Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cryptic Doe

Real Name
    Chuck

Cryptic Doe

This photo was taken in the dry hills near Missoula, Montana, USA. This time of year the grasses dry up and the hills take on a golden hue. This photograph of a white-tailed deer (doe) on a grassy hillside is one of my favorite deer photos. As with many wildlife shots the deer blends into the background. I was pleased to catch her looking over her shoulder. Using f7 I was able to decrease the depth of field enough to blur the grass in the foreground and the background. I liked having the grass directly in front of the deer in focus. I hoped it would provide enough information about the grass to allow the viewer to use gestalt to fill in the rest. The photo was taken late in the day which added to the golden color of both the deer and the grass. I cropped the image with more space to the left where the deer was looking. Comments are welcome and appreciated.

Chuck

Cryptic Doe

Re: Cryptic Doe

Having it's head in that position really makes that shot, Chuck. Any other angle just wouldn't have worked for me.

Is it my imagination or does that head look a little like a kangaroo?

Real Name
    Chuck

Hi Geoff, the head does look very much like a kangaroo. This is a classic case of convergent evolution. These animals fill similar niches in very different place. I suspect you already knew that.

Cheers, Chuck

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Chuck, well done on capturing a different pose and the overall composition sits well. The grass puts the deer right in the environment and does not distract from the subject.

Real Name
    Bobo

Nice one, excellent in all ways.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Clive and Bobo, I appreciate the comments from both of you, especially considering the consistently high quality photos you post.

chuck

Real Name
    Terri

I, too, like this shot a lot. I'm lucky to see deer often but it's hard to get a shot with them in a good pose and without trees or grasses or other deer in the way.