Thread: Beach order - help choose crop

Real Name
    Miltos

Beach order - help choose crop

My "always carry a compact camera with you" dogma worked well again. I encountered these pebbles ordered by the visitors of the beach while trying to reach an isolated beach in Alonissos (a greek island). Unfortunately I was just passing from the spot and I had to take the shot at current conditions so part of the image was burned. My goal was to highlight the triangle formed by the stones. An alternative crop is to exlude the burned part. What 's your opinion?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Beach order - help choose crop

I suggest that you try a crop that includes only the stones.

Real Name
    Miltos

Thank you for your suggestion Mike.

Here is another crop:

My concern again is where the triangle is pointing to. For sure this version is more clear keeping your attention to the stones which are the main subject.

With this particular crop, I don't think the triangular shape is important. The wonderful tones, luminosity, shapes and shadows make this an especially appealing image for me. It's a shame that the crop is so severe that a print will have to be relatively small.

Real Name
    Gretchen

I like the second shot (taller). I think the perspective gives a better impression of the number of stones --making it seem like a large gathering. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, I guess. I like the triangle --it's like the "leader" is leading them towards the beach for a swim to the mountain. Very Sci-Fi. "Gathering of the Rock People for their Annual Pilgrimage to the Summit"

Real Name
    Steve

I prefer the first image. The stones are powerful enough to grab your attention and hold it. Then your eye follows the burnt area to the islands.

Real Name
    Dave

Well, I go for the first wide crop. It's all in the imagination isn't it? If I'm in an optimistic mood, I see baby stones heading for sanctuary in the sea. If I'm gloomy, I see "lemming" stones trudging to their doom. Time for a cup of something!

Real Name
    pinaki

I think 2nd pic i.e. 1st crop works well.Stones tones and arrangement gives the pic dynamic feel.Background sea is pleasing.

Real Name
    Dave

P.S. IMHO the burned out area really doesn't detract from this shot, it actually gives a focus or direction for the stones (I still think of them as moving!)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Miltos,

In fact, with the first image, there is almost a suggestion that by venturing into the water, the stones grow in size and become the bigger stones (islands) approaching the mountain

Did I manage to out "Sci-Fi" Gretchen?

Real Name
    Miltos

Thank you all for your usefull suggestions and this creative discussion about my image.

Reviewing the three crops I think that "photographically" Mike is right. The tighter crop reveals the textures and tonalities of the stones nicely. However this was not my initial intent. Instead I wanted to highlight the "army" of stones pointing the island on top (it's Skopelos). I wanted to give a sense of hidden motion and a dynamic feeling where the sea is the only obstacle for the army to move. The burned highlights acting as a connection line or bridge as Dave mentioned was only luck.

Dave and Dave I believe that by now the stones have conquered the other island

Thank you again for the inspiring story and comments!

Quote Originally Posted by MilT0s View Post
    Reviewing the three crops I think that "photographically" Mike is right. The tighter crop reveals the textures and tonalities of the stones nicely. However this was not my initial intent.
    That explains perfectly why the tighter crop that I suggested is not "right." Instead, it's just the sort of crop that I would use in that situation, which is not surprising considering my fondness for tight crops.

Now that the thread might be winding down, I can post a couple images of mine without feeling that I might be hijacking the thread. I'm posting them because I wonder if the stones in your image are there because people do as shown below to earn tips from tourists passing by.

Real Name
    Gretchen

OMG, do any of them ever fall on the guy?

No, none of the stones ever fell. Instead, they get knocked down so the next guy can start all over using different combinations of stones. The men who do this balancing act are amazing. It's at the boardwalk in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Real Name
    Miltos

Mike it looks like you have found my little stones parents!