Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Another Black Crowned Night Heron

Real Name
    Victor Rakmil

Another Black Crowned Night Heron

black-crowned-night-heron-cic.jpg

I notice a certain love of this type of Heron on this forum!
    Yesterday I posted a series of pictures of different types of Herons to my website. Here is one taken of a Black crowned Night Heron (D300 1/125 F4.8 ISO 250, 70-200mm and TC 17 e II at 340mm). I am just getting into bird photography and the lens combination above is my longest at this point. I welcome any comments.

My website: http://www.rakmilphotography.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VR8; 14th August 2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Image posted inline

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Another Black Crowned Night Heron

Victor

As you can see, I've placed your image into the message rather than just leaving it sitting as a small thumbnail attached to the post. If you require any guidance in how to do this, please do read, HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?. This will gibe you all the help you might need.

We're getting quite a rush of images of this particular bird at the moment. There is images of it, by other members (don't think it's the same bird!) in threads here and here.

I am wondering, Victor, what's your own analysis of this image? Do you like it? What do you see as its strengths and weaknesses?

Real Name
    Victor Rakmil

Re: Another Black Crowned Night Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Victor

As you can see, I've placed your image into the message rather than just leaving it sitting as a small thumbnail attached to the post. If you require any guidance in how to do this, please do read, HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?. This will gibe you all the help you might need.

We're getting quite a rush of images of this particular bird at the moment. There is images of it, by other members (don't think it's the same bird!) in threads here and here.

I am wondering, Victor, what's your own analysis of this image? Do you like it? What do you see as its strengths and weaknesses?
    1. I finally got the trick to posting. I posted a test image in the how to post guide #56.
    2. As to concerns I have about the photo:
    a.the transfer from ProPhoto to SRGB using CS5 saturated the colors (I did re-sharpen post save, but will from now on avoid the save for web function). I am not sure it matters.
    b. the lighting on the bird is odd, but then so was the fact it was posing so close to shore. I am tempted to try fill flash at some point, in this case the bird was too close and the flash would have posed problems, and
    c. while I like the photo, its a bit static/stark and as result is less about telling a story than simply saying here is a bird. The other photos of Black Crowned Herons you point to are less static.
    Overall I like the frame.
    Thanks for the advice!