Thread: Black Crowned Night Heron In Flight

Real Name
    Joe

Black Crowned Night Heron In Flight

I notice a post in this forum of a Black Crowned Night Heron image. Today I was fortunate to capture one in flight. The bird was far, the crop large. But I think representative of the bird in flight. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Black Crowned Night Heron In Flight

Nice catch Joe. I like the first best, This is a bird I have been told we have but I am thinking the numbers are low as I have never seen one nor have I seen any of my local bord photogs offer up a shot.

Real Name
    Clive

Well done Joe, keep them coming, I like the first one there is detail in the feathers, nice yellow legs and boy does that red eye stand out. I think because of the large crop it does look a bit soft or is it my eyes?.
    There has been a flood of good Heron images lately especially of the "night" heron, it is very elusive in my part of the world just to see one never mind photograph it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I have never seen one before and suddenly there are two threads active (started on either side of the Atlantic Ocean) that feature this bird. Amazing. Just click here for the other one.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Nice catch Joe. I like the first best, This is a bird I have been told we have but I am thinking the numbers are low as I have never seen one nor have I seen any of my local bord photogs offer up a shot.
    Thanks Paul, I like the first image better also. Those are the only two I have right now, more to come I hope now that I know where it hangs out. I saw it fly over last week in the same place but I was talking with another photographer and my wife, so I missed it.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by botspur View Post
    Well done Joe, keep them coming, I like the first one there is detail in the feathers, nice yellow legs and boy does that red eye stand out. I think because of the large crop it does look a bit soft or is it my eyes?.
    There has been a flood of good Heron images lately especially of the "night" heron, it is very elusive in my part of the world just to see one never mind photograph it.
    Thanks Clive, they are a little soft because of the crop and distance from me when I shot the images. Yesterday was the second time I have seen it fly over a dike separating the marshes, next time hopefully I will be closer. The night heron is very elusive here also. I am going to try to get it on the ground but most time it hangs out well out into the marsh.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I have never seen one before and suddenly there are two threads active (started on either side of the Atlantic Ocean) that feature this bird. Amazing. Just click here for the other one.
    Thanks Donald, I appreciate your interest and setting up the link between both posts. When I saw Dave's thread I knew I had shot the same bird early that morning. So I processed and posted to show the contrast between one on the ground and one in flight. I am also amazed with the same bird on both sides of the Atlantic.

Real Name
    Bobo

Great catch you did well even with the heavy crop. We have them here but this year they are staying so far off that I did not even try to get shots.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Great catch you did well even with the heavy crop. We have them here but this year they are staying so far off that I did not even try to get shots.
    Thanks Bobo, thats the way they are here. I have never seen one on the ground. I know there are a couple around but they stay hidden. This one seems to fly from one marsh area to another every morning.

Real Name
    Bobo

Well to prove me wrong - he took off!

Still too far off for a decent shot but at least I caught it.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi folks,

Yes, thanks for setting up the link.
    I am also amazed with the same bird on both sides of the Atlantic.
    They are amazing birds. Here's the distribution map:

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi guys. As I was reading this thread, I remembered I shot a similar bird a month ago or so, I believe it is the same guy (Nycticorax nycticorax??). Hope I am not being inconvenient to show it here, but my pic is surely not good enough to deserve a new thread (poor light conditions at early sunrise + small sensor + handheld). So, my purpose is just to confirm we are shooting the same guy and, if so, to update Donald's count to three of these Herons recently shot in three (very) distant parts of the world! This one was shot on southeast coast of Brazil.

PS.: Joe, if you don't like this pic being shown inside this thread (which is yours) just let me know and I will remove it promptly.

Regards...

Real Name
    Bobo

Yup same type of bird.

Pretty sure Joe does'nt mind. Who knows this may become a BCNH thread??? Would be cool...

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Otavio, I don't mind at all. Pleased to have your post showing how widespread the bird is. I am amazed, let's keep it going by others posting theirs.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Ok, Joe, I'm glad you're ok with it. These birds are not rare where I live. I like the way they catch small fishes, pretty accurate...let's wait for more of them to come!