Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can you identify this butterfly beauty?

Real Name
    Louise

Can you identify this butterfly beauty?

I have taken these photos at the butterfly house, warmed tropical conditions, fog on my lens (wipe,wipe), and a lot of people. I tried to get in as close as possible to show how he feeds himself. When I got home I realise I did not know what kind of butterfly this is. Going back is not an option as it is in the province of New-Brunswick, about 7 hrs drive non stop! Can you help me identify him? Comments are welcome.Can you identify this butterfly beauty?
    Can you identify this butterfly beauty?

Real Name
    Terri

Re: Can you identify this butterfly beauty?

I'm sorry that I can't identify the butterfly but I do like the photos, especially the second one.

Real Name
    Wendy

Beautiful shots Louise.

I'm not sure but I think this might be a Ricepaper Butterfly. They are nataive to Malaisia, Taiwan and the Philippines. Does the Butterfly house you went to have a website? If so they might have the butterflies listed. I was at a Butterfly house near where I live and this looks very much like the Ricepapers that they had there. Here is a link to a picture and brief description.
    http://www.cambridgebutterfly.com/in...article&id=154

Wendy

Real Name
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Beautiful shots Louise.

I'm not sure but I think this might be a Ricepaper Butterfly. They are nataive to Malaisia, Taiwan and the Philippines. Does the Butterfly house you went to have a website? If so they might have the butterflies listed. I was at a Butterfly house near where I live and this looks very much like the Ricepapers that they had there. Here is a link to a picture and brief description.
    http://www.cambridgebutterfly.com/in...article&id=154

Wendy
    Thank you Wendy. Cambridge in Canada, really, what a coincidence!. The butterflies are surely similar. I am happy to be able to give it a name. The site you included talks about a complete "White" exibit in December. It would be quite an experience to be surrended by so many white butterflies!

Real Name
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I'm sorry that I can't identify the butterfly but I do like the photos, especially the second one.
    Thank you Terri for your comments. Now that Wendy helped with the identification, I know it is a rice paper butterfly or "idea leuconoe" of its full name. I just love this place, everyone is helpfull and I am learning a lot about photography and so much more. Thank you for the people that keeps this site running in tip top shape!