Thread: Light Craft Workshop variable nd filter

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Light Craft Workshop variable nd filter

Just bought a LCW variable nd filter a few weeks ago. I have read a lot of web posts and am a bit confused.Some of the posts suggest to ignore the exposure setting irrespective if it is over exposed or under exposed.Is this true or does it make a difference??
    I am quite happy with my efforts so far by setting the shutter speed and moving the filter to get the exposure correct.Am I going about it the right way or am I missing something????

Des

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Light Craft Workshop variable nd filter

Quote Originally Posted by mondmagu View Post
    Just bought a LCW variable nd filter a few weeks ago. I have read a lot of web posts and am a bit confused.Some of the posts suggest to ignore the exposure setting irrespective if it is over exposed or under exposed.Is this true or does it make a difference??
    I am quite happy with my efforts so far by setting the shutter speed and moving the filter to get the exposure correct.Am I going about it the right way or am I missing something????

Des
    Hi Des,

Normally you'll want to set the aperture & shutterspeed, and then vary the attenuation to balance the exposure.

If you're doing "normal range" exposures (ie less than 30 seconds) then your in-camera metering will give you a reasonable starting point, but if you're doing multi-minute exposures then you'll need more advanced techniques.

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Des,

Normally you'll want to set the aperture & shutterspeed, and then vary the attenuation to balance the exposure.

If you're doing "normal range" exposures (ie less than 30 seconds) then your in-camera metering will give you a reasonable starting point, but if you're doing multi-minute exposures then you'll need more advanced techniques.
    Thanks for the reply Colin.I haven't done any exposures over a minute so far.Can you refer me to any web site that has a good explanation of the technique to use.

Des

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Des,

You're probably "over-thinking" it a bit to be honest. Basically your aperture defines your depth of field as always (so set it for whatever depth of field you want) - your shutterspeed defines how motion will affect the image, as always (so set it for whatever effect you want) - then use the variable filter (and ISO if necessary) to get your exposure meter pointing in the middle (the meter has no knowledge of the filter - so should get the exposure right regardless).

I'd suggest just trying it and seeing for yourself

PS: Assuming manual exposure mode here, not Av or Tv mode.

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Thanks Colin,I do tend to delve in deep in relation to technical details(comes from being a trainer in the motor trade!).
    I will take your sound advice and practice.And your PS is right---manual mode.

Des