Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monopods

Monopods

Not much to say - Looking for a monopod!

I'm browsing through some Gitzo monopods, however, I'm not even sure what I actually need as far as weight capacity goes. The most weight I can think that I'd ever need to support as far as lens / camera body would be around 10-15 lbs.

The one that's currently caught my eye is a carbon fiber monopod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html

Anyone care to toss in a few suggestions? New to the monopod world.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Monopods

Other than;

Make sure the head has a quick release plate and further to that, that having that thing screwed on doesn't impede access to your battery compartment.

No

This is just something I found inconvenient with my earlier camera (using AA batts), not sure if same with Nikon (haven't used it on monopod), but the need to change battery is far more predictable with Nikon.

What exactly do you want to photograph?

A basic head is fine for most landscape or sports work but for macro or other awkward angles I would recommend a tiltable head, so the monopod can be held roughly upright instead of trying to hold it at 45 degrees which makes it unsteady.

But I rarely use a monopod now and always eventually go back to a tripod. Sometimes just a cheap lightweight model and often with the legs almost closed up which makes it as easy to use as a monopod but more stable.

Real Name
    Peter

I concur with Geoff. I tried a monopod without really knowing what I wanted - luckily it was a cheap one. I did not think about tiltable heads until after I got it - its all a learning curve.

First work out what you want to use it for and then you will probably find a tripod more versatile than a straight monopod. As Geoff says you can still use it like a monopod if required.

I wish I had a site like this to refer to - it would have saved me a lot of money in the past.

Peter

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Not much to say - Looking for a monopod!

Anyone care to toss in a few suggestions? New to the monopod world.

As a generalization: you get what you pay for.

As a specific - the pod (and accessories) you choose, really depends on your intended (main) uses - and what you are attaching (i.e. lens or camera) and whether you need to get it off quickly, or not.

As one example I have two monopods, and the smaller, light weight one gets the most use with my 70 to 200. I use no head, but screw the pod directly into the ring mount of the lens - makes for an easier day carrying that rig (and a second camera) at a swimming pool or up and down the hockey field . . .

On the other hand, at a Wedding, I have a quick release bracket on the base all three cameras - and I use a monopod, often, in the Church (no Flash Rule) - a quick release (and ball head) on the monopod is handy in that situation.

I think we need more information in two regards: your whole kit (Lenses & Cameras) and for what outputs you intend to use the pod.

WW

Sure thing William.

My current kit includes a Canon 50D, 70-200mm F2.8 IS, 24-70mm 2.8, and soon"ish" a wide angle, likely the 16-35mm 2.8.

The reason I'm looking at monopods instead of tripods is simply that the most areas I'm shooting (sporting events, public places, churches) they wont allow tripods as it's a hazard for people to trip on. They'll allow monopods, but not the three-legged brothers.

Hope that helps

Sean

Edit: Oh, I also have a 55-250mm f4-f5.6, but I rarely use it.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Yes. Thanks

My opinion:

Dunno specific details about other Brands I use Manfrotto others are just as good.

Look at the FEET – I have a good non slip plastic /composite rounded black thing – NOT a swivel foot – they break and they can be noisy in a Church and many do NOT allow a full tilt beyond about 60 degrees . . . you can employ a technique for a low vantage point by getting low and support the pod by wedging the ball of the pod under the ball of your left foot and shoot low supporting your weight on your right knee – if you have that silly cupped feet thingy on the pod it is less stable, and uncomfortable.

Also I suggest NOT getting a spike – and NOT getting interchangeable feet – eventually something gets lost – I like simple.

Next is height – get one that is about 6 inches TALLER than you when fully extended, maybe even 12 inches - the reason - you can use it on stairs.

Next is flexibility – as I wrote – you get what you pay for – extend it fully plant it firmly and put pressure on it sideways and downwards – any perceivable flex look at the next model up – spend a few more dollars and keep it forever.

Sections are important – I have THREE SECTIONS not four.

I would not worry about weight all that much – you appear young and strong – it is not like you are climbing mountains with it – a few extra grams won’t kill you and it is character building.

A Ball Head is neat and will be useful for the 24 to 70 and a quick release for the 50D, (like inside a Church for example) – if you are using the pod exclusively for the 70 to 200 likely you will opt to mount it directly to the lens’s ring mount with no ball head – if you want to change lenses, you leave the pod on the 70 to 200.

WARNING: do NOT mount the pod directly to your 50D WITHOUT first checking the LENGTH of the screw in the top of the pod is NOT longer than the female screw mount in the BASE of you CAMERA

Also a little technique tip – always drop the bottom section first and then the next bottom, that always leave the finer height adjustment at the top, closest to your left hand

PS I loved Victoria – I was there for the Commonwealth Games Coverage.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 21st August 2009 at 04:02 AM.

Sections are important – I have THREE SECTIONS not four.
    Seems pretty straight forward, thanks William. You lost me on the above point, however.

Is it better to have fewer sections than more, then?

And yes, I love Victoria.

Currently living in Edmonton, Alberta to the east over the Rockies, but I visit home often. Beautiful weather and landscapes.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Is it better to have fewer sections than more, then?
    Ah! OK . . .

I haven't been monopod shopping for many years, and I don't do "window shopping" so I really don't know what the latest designs are . . .

Monopods used to be available in 2, 3 or 4 extendable sections - the 4 sections ones are more flexible (less stable IMO) - because of the extra clamp joint.

Make sense?

WW

Ahh, okay. So a loss of flexibility for a gain of stability and vice versa. Makes sense.

Thanks!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Yes. You got it.

And the larger the dia. of tube the more stable, (usually) - carbon fibre and some alloys are tough – but expensive too.

And with my 'frottos - the clamp is a "Boss Design" which has a bolt to keep it tight like an hose clamp (like on your car radiator hose), so as it wears inside on the clamping mechanism against the tube - like 10 years use - you can tighten it the clamp up.

You don't want "all in one moulded" clamps, IMO.

WW