Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rear lens cap

Real Name
    Janis

Rear lens cap

Any tips on how to safely loosen a rear lens cap that even my brother-in-law (the strongest man in the world) cannot get off?

Many thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Rear lens cap

Hi Janis,

This is a problem I haven't heard of before!

If it were me, I'd probably make it a team effort - perhaps involve something that could give some kind of mechanical leverage (jar opener? pipe wrench) (on the cap end, not the lens!!!). I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the cap - they're a dime a dozen.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Janis,

This may seem like a silly question, but; you are turning it the right way, aren't you?

I ask because the Nikon ones I use always seem counter intuitive, in other words it is the opposite to getting the lid off a screw top jar.

Hope you win eventually,

Real Name
    Janis

Fair question, Dave, but we'd tried it both ways. I don't have a pipe wrench or a ring tip jar opener, but Jiro suggested I make a cardboard collar for the lens with just the cap sticking through and then use a blow dryer on it. Three minutes of hot air and it came off! Whew!! Thanks for your suggestions. Hope this proves useful to someone else someday.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I deleted my original post - I took far too long making coffee and you got the problem solved in the meantime: good oh!

WW

Real Name
    Richard

This is only one of the reasons that I love this site. Help is always available when we need it....

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I have never heard of this problem either but I do have a preventative solution if you are a Nikon user: buy the white caps perhaps on EBay that have no threads; rather than screwing on and screwing off, they push on and pull off. I hate the screw-type rear lens caps. I don't know if similar push-on, pull-off caps are available for other brands.

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

While I tend to agree, in principle, in my experience push-on caps can get knocked off taking the lens out or putting it back in the bag (or at least, in my bag )

There's also something strangely reassuring to know that the cap is nice and snug on it's bayonet...but of course, this is entirely personal

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by darkslide View Post
    While I tend to agree, in principle, in my experience push-on caps can get knocked off taking the lens out or putting it back in the bag (or at least, in my bag )

There's also something strangely reassuring to know that the cap is nice and snug on it's bayonet...but of course, this is entirely personal
    I agree!

And of course the simple solution may well be "don't over-tighten the darn things in the first place"