Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What's professional?

Real Name
    Korey

What's professional?

Some People look at my photos and say I should be a photographer, so my question is, does this photo look professional, or is it very amateurish?
    Keep in mind that I'm 15 and still learning.
    What's professional?

Real Name
    Meisam

Re: What's professional?

OK, First of all best thing to know for working with photos is understanding color management. You should think more about details. This photo is not wow one, but it can get better and I am sure you can improve. Good luck!

Real Name
    Korey

Yeah, I will admit, I wen't a bit crazy with the color on that one. Here's a more normal photo I took out the window of a car.
    What's professional?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Korey - My first reaction is that you obviously have vision and an imagination to see and make pictures that are not just bog-standard snapshots, but are creative pieces of work. So, if you are asking, 'Could I make it in photography?', on the basis of this evidence I'd say, 'Very much so'.

Real Name
    Meisam

It's better one, and good example of High Dynamic Range photo, I edit it a bit, it need some White balance, you should work more on editing your photo, I really like the composition in this shot.

What's professional?

Real Name
    Korey

Thanks. I think the reason why it's so dark is because I have a bit of an action movie perspective of thing if that makes sense.

Here's another edit. By the way, I'm using iPhoto for editing, I have photoshop but I'm not good at using it.
    What's professional?

Real Name
    Meisam

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    Thanks. I think the reason why it's so dark is because I have a bit of an action movie perspective of thing if that makes sense.

Here's another edit. By the way, I'm using iPhoto for editing, I have photoshop but I'm not good at using it.
    Yes Korey, this shot is much more better. You know pal it's about exposure more than other things, in this kind of photos you need to take several shots. I am not sure if you know what is stop in photographing but you need to take overexposed photo in this kind of situation to have your foreground sharp and bright and you will miss sky details you will have a so much bright and white sky... with another shot same frame you can lower your exposure stops underexpose it and then you have a dark foreground but a good sky in background, then you need to combine these two photos...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Korey,

As much as I admire that you are "only" 15, I'm especially interested in learning how long you have been seriously pursuing photography.

Regardless of how long that is, the two images that you posted show a remarkable amount of creativity. Congratulations for that! When you are being especially creative, it's important to know whether the images that you produce achieve the results you had hoped for. As an example, which of the three versions of the image of the two buildings most closely matches what you wanted the image to look like?

Continue being creative! Concentrate on making images that look as you want them to look more than wondering if they meet professional standards. That requires continuing to learn how to use the settings on your camera and how to use postprocessing software. I hope to see many more of your images here!

By the way, when you log onto this website's "Forums" main page, some unusually nice images are always displayed at the top. You might want to review those images from time to time to develop a sense of what styles of photographs you like the least and the best. Reviewing other photographs can be very inspiring and help improve my own photos. Perhaps yours too!
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 11th August 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Real Name
    Korey

I use to play with my mothers camera when I was little, but I got my first camera and started doing stop motion when I was 10. At about 13 is when I really started learning everything I could from shutter speed to aperture to rule of thirds. I ran my first and second camera to the ground and they served me well. I then did months of research and came to a conclusion that the canon t2i (or 550d) was the way to go. So that is what I got for Christmas, the one and only thing I got lol. side note: I like my original photo the best out of the three.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

side note: I like my original photo the best out of the three.
    Tell you what - I agree!

I think Mike has got it right. Never mind about making 'professional' images. Make Korey images. You can make the most fantastically technically brilliant images, but if your passion and soul are not in them, they won't be great images. Get that bit first and then all the technical stuff can come later.

Real Name
    Korey

Also, Is this section where should I be posting my photos? I don't want to be posting things incorrectly.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Also, Is this section where should I be posting my photos? I don't want to be posting things incorrectly.
    Oh, don't worry about that. We don't get too concerned about that on here. The sort-of general rule is if it's got people or domesticated animals in it, put it in People and Pets. Otherwise, put them in Nature & Architecture.

Real Name
    David

Very nice shots, korey. I wish I had had the equipment you now have when I was your age...lol. Keep up the good work...you definitely have potential, IMO.

I like my original photo the best out of the three.
    I completely agree and didn't want to tell you that earlier for fear of being overly influential. The dark building and the yellow tones in the sky that are reminiscent of stormy weather, perhaps even a tornado, provide a forboding look that complement the very eery angle. Though it's probably nice to learn that Donald and I agree with you, the only thing that really matters is that you know which version you like best and why.

By the way, Korey, it wouldn't hurt to make sure your parents review this thread and other threads occasionally. I think they will be very impressed with the posts about your images and, ummm, you certainly want their support in the future when you ask for that next Christmas present or birthday present.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

"Professional" seems to be an "interesting" word in photography circles. For some it means "someone who makes part or all of their income from it", whereas for others, it's an attitude. In my opinion, a photographer who doesn't make any money from a shoot but considers his models comfort & privacy and never crosses any boundaries that shouldn't be crossed is far more of a professional than someone who makes money from a shoot, but is a sleaze to work for.

If you're talking professional as in "making money from it" then it actually has more to do with an ability to run a business than it does an ability to take exceptional photos. An average photographer with strong business skills will do infinitely better than an an enormously gifted and talented photographer with no business sense.