Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Which one is edited more correctly?

  1. #1
    Meisam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Babol, Iran
    Posts
    109
    Real Name
    Meisam

    Which one is edited more correctly?

    Hi All,
    This becomes a big deal for me, I saw somewhere this pic:

    Which one is edited more correctly?

    I told them it is wrong to ruin details and I gave them my own edit of that photo you can see bellow:

    Which one is edited more correctly?

    But I have told, my edit is not correct and the original one is more correct, it shows photographer creativity and mine is a simple common edit. What do you think?

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,977
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Meisam

    I can appreciate the enquiry you are making. I do not wish to prevent people engaging in discussion in order to learn and develop their knowledge and skills. However, I must ask, do you have the permission of the photographer to post his or her image on the forum?

    There was another example of this yesterday and was pointed out to the member, this, if you do not have permission, probably breaches the copyright of the photographer.

    CiC can never condone the copying of work by others and the re-editing of it. Should the photographer who took these images see them on here and wish them removed, we will immediately to do so.

    If we wish to make a point about how someone else's image might be improved, we should always seek their permission to edit it and make it available for public view. Here on CiC members will sometimes offer suggestions about images to colleagues and illustrate these by showing them on an edited version of the image originally posted. However, that is part of learning and if any member does not wish that to be done to their images, that will be respected.

    But we should not copy, edit and post images that belong to someone who is not involved in CiC and who is not asking members on here for C & C.

  3. #3
    Stagecoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Suva, Fiji
    Posts
    5,908
    Real Name
    Grahame

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Hi Meisam, looking at your edited version of the original in my view it looks over done. Whilst the original can simply be boosted in contrast, clarity and sharpness this will not be to everyones taste.

    To me, the original had a softness to it that portrays the innocence of the child more than the 'technically' correct edit.

    Grahame

  4. #4
    Meisam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Babol, Iran
    Posts
    109
    Real Name
    Meisam

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Meisam

    I can appreciate the enquiry you are making. I do not wish to prevent people engaging in discussion in order to learn and develop their knowledge and skills. However, I must ask, do you have the permission of the photographer to post his or her image on the forum?

    There was another example of this yesterday and was pointed out to the member, this, if you do not have permission, probably breaches the copyright of the photographer.

    CiC can never condone the copying of work by others and the re-editing of it. Should the photographer who took these images see them on here and wish them removed, we will immediately to do so.

    If we wish to make a point about how someone else's image might be improved, we should always seek their permission to edit it and make it available for public view. Here on CiC members will sometimes offer suggestions about images to colleagues and illustrate these by showing them on an edited version of the image originally posted. However, that is part of learning and if any member does not wish that to be done to their images, that will be respected.

    But we should not copy, edit and post images that belong to someone who is not involved in CiC and who is not asking members on here for C & C.
    Sure he is aware of this edit and we talk about it in our native language forum, I told him I will ask some other experts about these edits. It's just about learning and this photo is not private or something...

    Original post is here: http://www.doorbindigital.ir/forums/...ll=1#post21466 (this is my post)

  5. #5
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,977
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meisam View Post
    Sure he is aware of this edit and we talk about it in our native language forum, I told him I will ask some other experts about these edits. It's just about learning and this photo is not private or something...
    Okay. Thank you.

  6. #6
    Meisam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Babol, Iran
    Posts
    109
    Real Name
    Meisam

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hi Meisam, looking at your edited version of the original in my view it looks over done. Whilst the original can simply be boosted in contrast, clarity and sharpness this will not be to everyones taste.

    To me, the original had a softness to it that portrays the innocence of the child more than the 'technically' correct edit.

    Grahame
    Thanks Grahame, the original poster told me this as he wanted to show kid's innocence by over exposing the photo, but I thought it is over than over expose when you see how much details lost. Is it common or I think wrong about it!? Actually I like details in photo so much...

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,292
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Hi Meisam,

    The thing about photography is that it is art and therefore subject to personal views; there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to process an image, because it depends upon what 'message' the artist wants to convey.

    Agreed some artists may be better at conveying their message than others, but it should not (in my opinion) be "a big deal", to quote your words, for anyone other than the artist (photographer) - their views are what matters and if they like something a certain way, that's their privilege.

    You will note that many people here will offer their views on other menbers photos with comments like "if mine, I would ..." or, as you have, show an alternate edit, but with an offer to remove it if not helpful or wanted, so as not to cause offence and acknowledge that our views may not align with those of the photographer.

    Most times these suggestions or edits will be met with the response like "oh yes, I can see that works better", but occasionally it will be a response similar to sohrab's, and that's fine.

    In the ultimate, the answer is you take your own photo like this of a boy (with a parent's permission) and then you have the right to insist your way is how it should be
    Although, if the parent commissions the shoot, then it should be processed how they want it (they would be the customer - and the customer is always right).

    ... and what do I think of these two versions?
    On the original; I would lighten the left eye slightly and perhaps both both iris' would be better a bit brighter
    With your version; I am distracted by the overly emphassised mouth and generally find it a bit too contrasty
    Those are just my views, but should not be passed on to the photographer if they were not asking for, or open to, critique when they posted the image.

    Best regards,

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    18,892

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Agreed with Dave's post.

  9. #9
    Meisam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Babol, Iran
    Posts
    109
    Real Name
    Meisam

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Thank you Dave
    Maybe I am wrong. I only try to find a wow factor in photos. To learn add them to my own. Some comes from photograph itself. Correct light direction, good exposure, simple background, good focus, good subject and point of view... some factors are happening in post processing. I want to learn and I want to know in second process I did, could I add that wow factor to that photo or not!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    18,892

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Meisam View Post
    I only try to find a wow factor in photos.
    Place ten people in a room. Remember that what wows each of them may be 10 different things. As Dave explained, it's not a matter of being right, wrong, correct or incorrect. It's a matter of creating an image that wows the creator or the person the creator wants to please.

  11. #11
    rpcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    13,168
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    There are probably some edits that most photographers will agree about. However, there are probably an equal number of edits which ten photographers will argue about and provide their own variations.

    What is "right" about an edit is what the artist likes..

  12. #12
    Kris V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Posts
    1,629
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

    Re: Which one is edited more correctly?

    With a picture like this, I would be inclined to go the total opposite way of Meisam, and go for a high-key look.
    Maybe add a catch light to the eyes. (???)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •