Thread: The motorbike

Real Name
    Steven

The motorbike

Not sure if this constitute street photography.

This is my first photo of movement. I actually stood on that spot and took a number of shots and this is the better of the rest.

I would like to ask if this an acceptable level for this genre of photography and if there are ways to make it better?

Thanks.

The motorbike

Real Name
    Richard

Re: The motorbike

A bit of cropping: top and bottom, some increased sharpness, a bit less brightness and some sharpening would help this image and put more emphasis on the bike and riders...

Real Name
    Steven

Richard, thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    I would like to ask if this an acceptable level for this genre of photography ...
    I would say it definitely is. With Richard's suggestions, you'll have a very strong image. I think you've got a great sense of movement and energy into the image and there is just enough detail in the background for us to be able immediately recognise it; i.e. it is not just all a blur. Good one.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

HI Steven,

In addition to the other suggestions, if mine I would desaturate the red thing just leaving frame on the right, all the other colours are different from the subject and so seem oK (plus they're quite muted).

That's a good start, well done,

Real Name
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    and there is just enough detail in the background for us to be able immediately recognise it; i.e. it is not just all a blur. Good one.
    Donald, thanks for the input. I didn't realise that the blur should give some semblance of what they are.
    I already learned something new. Thanks

Dave, thanks for your suggestion

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    Donald, thanks for the input. I didn't realise that the blur should give some semblance of what they are.
    I don't think every background blur needs to do so. It's all a case of studying you subject and planning the shot to produce the best possible image. In this case I think it really works that the background retains just enough detail fro us to be able to work out what sort of setting it is taken in.

It's all a case of what is best fro the image you want to make. In this case, I think you got it right.