Thread: Photoshop Tricks & Tips

Real Name
    Tommy

Photoshop Tricks & Tips

Hi All,

I thought I would start a thread where we could each contribue a simple trick, tip or shortcut from Photoshop. I have been using Photoshop for years and am continuously learning new and faster ways of doing things and I'm sure that with our combined wealth of experience we could all learn something new here.

It might be useful to state in your post the verion of Photoshop you are using, just in case it is not compatible with all.

We'll see how it goes anyways...

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Photoshop Tricks & Tips

OK, I'll start...

Hide All Layers Except One

I find this useful when you want to quickly see what effect your post processing has had on your original image, kind of like a quick before and after.

If you Option>click (Mac) or Alt>click (PC) on one of the Eye icons in the Layers palette, it will hide all the layers, except the one you just clicked on. Option>click (Mac) or Alt>click (PC) it again and all the Eye icons will be back on.

If you do this on your background layer for example, then it will show you a quick before and after of your processing. Particularly useful where you are working with a large number of layers.

Real Name
    Paul

Layer/adjustment layer mask simple tips.

To create a layer mask, select the layer and click on the square icon at the bottom of the layers palette.
    To create an all black layer mask Alt + click on same
    Invert a layer mask or an adjustment layer mask, click on the mask and then Ctrl + I
    Alt + click on the mask to view the mask on screen in place of the image
    Ctrl + click on the mask to make a copy of the selection/mask for use on another layer
    Ctrl + L will allow you to apply levels adjustments a selected mask,
    Ctrl + M will allow you to apply curves adjustments to a selected mask

All versions of Photoshop as far as I know and very useful shortcuts for using masks effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    OK, I'll start...

Hide All Layers Except One

I find this useful when you want to quickly see what effect your post processing has had on your original image, kind of like a quick before and after.

If you Option>click (Mac) or Alt>click (PC) on one of the Eye icons in the Layers palette, it will hide all the layers, except the one you just clicked on. Option>click (Mac) or Alt>click (PC) it again and all the Eye icons will be back on.

If you do this on your background layer for example, then it will show you a quick before and after of your processing. Particularly useful where you are working with a large number of layers.
    Very useful tips