Thread: How can I get these kinds of colours in my photographs?

Re: How can I get these kinds of colours in my photographs?

MPJAN, welcome to Cic, most of the images you posted are slightly desaturated. It may be helpful to post a pic that you want to have looking like this, as desaturating some images does not work.

Ryo

Would also add that the photographer you linked is using a Leica M8, which is an awesome camera.
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 9th August 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: would also

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I’m not 100% certain that I am answering your question, because it is a bit vague. I think the common thread in the images you have linked to all have somewhat monotone backgrounds, so the foreground colours are more noticeable. The lighting is fairly diffuse as well (no harsh shadows), which tends to accentuate this effect as well. The first two images look a bit overexposed as well; the skin tones look washed out.

Photography is all about composition and lighting. The photographer has chosen subject matter, an appropriate background and lighting conditions that produced these results. If you want your images to have a similar look, you should look at the three key compositional elements that appear to be in use in each of the images:

1. Monotone backgrounds;
    2. Diffuse lighting; and
    3. Bright colours in the main subject.

Real Name
    Dan

I don't quite get the question. The images are very different in terms of color. For example, the first one appears overexposed and, as Ryo said, perhaps desaturated. Neither of these is true of the third one, which has rich colors that suggest to me a possible boost of vibrance or saturation. I think you would get more useful responses if you were clearer about what effect you are trying to get.

Real Name
    Robert

mpjan, If it is the colour saturation that you are after- Its achieved in the post-processing. Even the simplest of image editors can change colours, contrast, exposure, etc, to achieve the look you desire. Yes- a quality camera system helps, but not essential. And you cannot rely on any camera to give you the results you want all the time.
    Digital cameras have put the burden of post-processing back on the photographer (film labs would do it previously!) So taking the image in camera is only half the job!
    I am always being accused of over-saturating, so a couple of my over-saturated images-before and after-Criticize away! ps-still learning about downloading images!
    How can I get these kinds of colours in my photographs? How can I get these kinds of colours in my photographs?
    How can I get these kinds of colours in my photographs? How can I get these kinds of colours in my photographs?

Did you private message the photographer and ask him? You can do that by clicking on his profile name or picture, and then while on his main page clicking on the 3 dots on the far right and clicking on "Send Flickr Mail."

Real Name
    Yes

The images you give as examples seem like they were edited using something like Topas, Nik colour efx, etc where this sort of effect comes as a preset.

Real Name
    Jason Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by wobert View Post
    I am always being accused of over-saturating, so a couple of my over-saturated images-before and after-Criticize away! ps-still learning about downloading images!
    I, too, sometimes like to over saturate. I think sometimes it just makes the picture work. Here's some I took with my iphone that I love after saturating them.

How can I get these kinds of colours in my photographs?
    How can I get these kinds of colours in my photographs?

1. Open your image in Adobe Photoshop Elements. Next, select the layer option at the top of the page and press "Duplicate Layer".
    2. Open the layer menu in the bottom right hand corner of your page. Choose screen. This will make the image look much brighter. If your photo was really dark to start with you may like the brightness.
    3. Duplicate your layer again. Then go back down to the layer menu and choose Soft Light. This layer will instantly give your photo vibrant, beautiful color. If it's too much for you, reduce the Opacity a little

Real Name
    Graham Heron

WRT the OP, desaturate as has been said.

WRT the direction the thread has gone, it seems to be the case that newcomers to post processing like over the top processing. As one sees more and more of the OTT approach, one gets less impressed and seeks out a more subtle approach.

It is interesting to bear in mind that the largest proportion of photographers (eg. cellphone, compacts) don't do any post processing and so there is the tendency for the greatest number of viewers to appreciate the OTT approach.
    Depends on who you want to make the impression with.

G