Thread: How does this look?

Real Name
    Elayna

How does this look?

I took this when my mom's flowers bloomed and i luckily had my camera.How's it look,anything to improve itHow does this look?

Canon A590 at 5.8mm (34.3mm FFE) 1/320s, f/2.6, iso 80.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 9th August 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added EXIF data

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: How does this look?

Hi Elayna, I'm not really into shooting flowers but a couple of things strike me about this image...

Firstly, I think the focus is a bit out. It would seem to me that the focus point is on the cluster of anthers (I assume that's what they are - limited memory of GCSE biology) - the nobbly bits on the inside of the flower. Whereas that isnt necessarily a problem, and may well have been what you intended, it is quite dark in there and the very narrow depth of field has thrown everything else out of focus. This leaves my eye wandering about looking for something that is well lit and in focus, and it can't find anything.

Secondly, you should have a think about your background with shots like this. The white thing (bottom right) and the area on the left and bottom left are too distracting for my liking and you should have either recomposed to minimise this or cloned them out in PP.

I hope this helps somewhat, and I hope you don't think I am being too negative

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Elayna,

I have added the EXIF (shooting) data below your image because this helps people not give you inappropriate advice.

I agree with Tommy's comments and he's been pretty thorough, but do ask questions if anything we've said is unfamiliar to you.

Cheers,

I think Tommy caught about all that I would say. I am curious if you have editing software (its normally listed in your exif), or if the image is SOOC. Either way a 5 min brush up on the image with a Dodge/burn tool can bring up the clusters and give back that focal point. I hope you don't mind but I snagged your pic for this edit:

How does this look?

Using CS5, (other programs have similiar features) I dodged the midtones, and highlights on the clusters, then burned the surroundings,(for a bit more pop) finished off with color replacing the white distraction LRC with green.

Thanks
    Ryo

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Elayna,

I took another look at some detailed EXIF data, I don't see any PP software mentioned (as Ryo wondered), so I suspect this is SOOC (straight out of camera).

One thing I did spot though is that the AF (Auto Focus) mode is set to "Face Detect", which may explain the odd focus distance, despite it also being in Macro mode.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Elayna

Thank you all for your comments My mom has photo elements 10 and it has a blur tool so i will use it to blur the white thing in the background and yes it is shot directly from the camera thank you

Real Name
    Elayna

How does this look?

This one i tried with crop tool,bit of blur, bandage tool and color How does this look?

Real Name
    Elayna

MY camera is very fussy it eats batteries in about3 hours soo too get that picture i had to put it on face detect in order for it to work

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    MY camera is very fussy it eats batteries in about3 hours soo too get that picture i had to put it on face detect in order for it to work
    Was there a bit of wind blowing? That will thwart you (in getting a focused image) every time.

Real Name
    Elayna

Yes i believe their was wind it was hard with my camera saying change batteries and i had a hard time getting it to work!!

Real Name
    Sharon

especially an 1SO OF 80...was that your choice?

Real Name
    Tim Simpson

i like the photo, yes the focus isn't perfect but the colours are lovely, if the wind is up then and the flower head is moving then put a thin stick in the ground and use some garden wire to tie the flower to it. if you get the angle right you won't see the stick in the photo and the flower head will have much much less movement.

regards and keep going
    tim

Real Name
    Elayna

Thank you that's an awesome idea i never think of those things at the moment but thanks

Real Name
    Elayna

No that wasn't my choice of a camera. my sister gave it to me

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    No that wasn't my choice of a camera. my sister gave it to me

No honey, the ISO is a setting on your camera and I feel 80 was a very low setting for a windy day...check this out, it should help.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...a-exposure.htm

Real Name
    Elayna

oops sorry i don't understand it all but thanks for the help i'll try to do that thanks a lot! I appreciate it!!!!
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 10th August 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Real Name
    Elayna

How about this one?

This is another one which is way more in focus and better i think.In this photo i zoomed in and cropped it,tweaked the color oh and bandage to get the background green.please tell me what you think How does this look?
    Last edited by Snow Leopard; 10th August 2012 at 11:26 PM.