Thread: wells,norfolk early morning

Real Name
    Paul

wells,norfolk early morning

another stormy early morning trip out.c&c welcome

wells,norfolk early morning

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: wells,norfolk early morning

I like this a lot but wonder if you would consider cropping about 10% to 15% off the left. This image would also work well in a high-contrast style, especially if you add contrast to the stormy sky. If you do, be sure to add it to the water too, as it reflects the skies.

I'm not a boater, so I don't know if the boats convey a particular time. If not, the image would also work well as a sepia image. (I actually think it would work well that way even if it isn't timeless, but I think I'm in the minority when it comes to that.)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Paul,

I half agree with Mike's suggested left crop, it helps in some ways, but having played about offsetting this on my monitor, I don't like where it places the start of the left bank (it's then too far up the left edge) - if you were on a bridge and could re-shoot, I'd suggest moving to the left by several feet.

It is still a nice scene as it stands though.

Cheers,

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Dave's comment about my suggestion reminds me that far too many of us -- and I'm especially guilty -- comment about how to change the presented photograph rather than offer ideas about how to start over with a new photo.

Real Name
    Paul

i included the bank to the left as i liked the shape of the inlet which leads out to sea through a marsh.and i standing on a harbour wall shooting between moored up boats.and to re shoot this shot someone would have to be unluck enough to breakdown again in such a lovely spot

Real Name
    Paul

Actually I like this shot. The composition might be a little right heavy but I'm really liking the black and white conversion and the whole ambience of the scene. I'm wondering if it might be a little bright, there's some great detail in the sand/mud flats around the boats in in the immediate foreground that I'd love to see brought out with a little less exposure or some localised levels adjustments. No, on the whole a nice shot with a real sense of place - can almost smell the salt in the air.

Real Name
    Tommy

I quite like the composition as it is. I think that part of the river on the left helps to move the eye into the scene. I kind of agree with Dave in that it might be better to take this from a few feet to the left, but without losing any of the angles created by the water and the sand banks. Perhaps if you did this, you could just include a wee bit more on the right of the boats to balance the baron landscape on the left.

I think you can add just a touch more contrast by bringing in the black and white clipping points just a touch, and possibly sharpen it a tad more too.

Real Name
    Paul

thanks all for the feedback