Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Golfing Buddies - Sports Action Photography

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Golfing Buddies - Sports Action Photography

Once I stopped getting through my practice sessions with my new Vari ND filter during my recent break at Loch Lomond, I wandered about the grounds of the place at which were staying. It has a golf course there.

This was an opportunistic shot in that it appeared to me just as I was walking past. It struck me that these two bags probably spend a lot of time like this together whilst their men try to apply their putting skills on the greens.

A little bit of fun.

At first I thought the golfer in the background worked, but now I'm not so sure.

Golfing Buddies - Sports Action Photography
    40D, Sigma 120-400 F4.5-5.6 APO DG OS @273mm. ISO 400. 1/500@f5.6.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Golfing Buddies - Sports Action Photography

I like this a lot. Nice vignette.

With or without the golfer in the background, it tells a nice story. With the golfer, the caption could be, "Where are the two guys that go with those bags?" Without the golfer, it could be, "Surely our owners will return."

It would be easy to eliminate the golfer. Consider trying it to see which version you like better.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Mike. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was one that wanted a much heavier vignette than I would normally use.

Interesting comment about the vignette, Donald. I normally have not liked vignettes in the past. However, since coming to CiC I've seen many images using vignettes with judiscious restraint and I've even used them in a couple of my own images recently. Your vignette is certainly not overdone in my mind.

By the way, I've never seen a sepia treatment posted by you and I think this one would be a great candidate.

Real Name
    Gary

I think that there are two reasons why I like this image. Firstly, it probably represents the average golfers round. Bags in the middle of the fairway and owners not in the frame off somewhere looking in the rough for their golf ball. Secondly, on a slightly abstract note. It reminds me a bit of War of the Worlds. When the alien spaceships begin to emerge?! Slightly obscure but that's what it makes me think of.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by oldgreygary View Post
    It reminds me a bit of War of the Worlds. When the alien spaceships begin to emerge?! Slightly obscure but that's what it makes me think of.
    Thanks Gary.

For me it was like seeing role reversal. I just got this picture in my head of these two bags just leaning on their supports having a good old blether together about the state of the world, the economy, the incompetence of their owners on the golf course, etc.

I anthropomorphised them in my mind and saw them as two live beings.

Real Name
    Terry

Nice shot Donald! Your anthropormorphism comes right on through. I had the same impression.

I love the way you have stopped this fast-paced "Sports Action Photography"! Did you have to shoot this on burst to get this one perfect shot?

Real Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thanks Gary.

For me it was like seeing role reversal. I just got this picture in my head of these two bags just leaning on their supports having a good old blether together about the state of the world, the economy, the incompetence of their owners on the golf course, etc.

I anthropomorphised them in my mind and saw them as two live beings.
    Thats interesting I didn't see that before but now I can see it from that perspective.

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by oldgreygary View Post
    Thats interesting I didn't see that before ..........
    Your probably very lucky Gary. Just put it down to me having one of those fleeting minds that creates all sorts of weird pictures from situations and scenarios.

Real Name
    Tommy

I like the golfer in the background. It adds context and continuity to the image. We have no idea what predicament the two missing golfers are in on the green, but we know that the golfer in the image will soon be in a similar situation. It also adds a more personal element. The two friends possibly enjoying a banterous round together followed by the lone wolf battling it out on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    We have no idea what predicament the two missing golfers are in on the green, but we know that the golfer in the image will soon be in a similar situation.
    The really cool personification of the golf bags allows us to consider that exact situation from "their" point of view. To use Tommy's exact phrasing, we have no idea what predicament the two lone golf bags are in on the green, but we know that the golf bag being brought by the golfer in the image will soon be in a similar situation.