Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Redwing Blackbird

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Redwing Blackbird

Canon 1D Mark IIn, Canon 600 f4, 1/1000 @ f8 Redwing BlackbirdRedwing Blackbird

I have re-posted this image to try improve contrast and dull the shinning eye of the bird. Would appreciate further comment.
    Last edited by redrew; 7th August 2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Re-post

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Redwing Blackbird

Rollin, I like the overall image but I do see a couple issues I think distract me. First and formost, the odd eye. The eye looks quite strange as this bird has a jet black eye that is quite difficult to even see unless the light is just right. Speaking of lighting brings me to the second, while I understand any detail to be caught in this bird requires quite a bit of light....the light here is a bit harsh and while you have done well not to get hotspots it has bleached out his color slightly. A little more selective contrast may help.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Rollin,

I too found his/her eye an interesting distraction, as it doesn't look 'normal', but you can only snap what lands in front of you

Could you tell me whether this was processed from a RAW, or jpg, capture?

One idea I might try if mine; is to clone out the end of the folliage where it exits the frame on the left, this would save it cutting the image in two, probably from just where it splits into two bits could look natural.

Good pose and background.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Paul I get comments about lack of contrast in my posted images, I suspicion that it is something in my monitor. I plan to callibrate shortly. The bird is so black it is difficult for me to get the proper exposure out of the camera. So Photoshop is my only hope of pulling out the texture of the feathers, but this could have distorted the eye color which has a blue caste. Of course the bird may be developing a cataract, I have been there. This particular image was heavily cropped which also reduces resolution and color balance.

Good idea Dave, I think removing some that branch on the left side of the image would be less distracting.

Thank you both for your comment.

Rollin E. Drew

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Dave I failed to answer your question concerning the image as it came our of the camera. I shoot in RAW and convert to tiff. I do not alter the image in its raw stage but wait until conversion.

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Rollin, nice image. I have been reading yours and comments from others posted above. From the first image you posted in the forum I have thought that they looked flat (lacking contrast). Your comment to Dave saying you shoot in RAW and then convert to Tiff for post processing in Photoshop may be the reason. I shoot in RAW and post process in Adobe Lightroom 4 ( the same engine as Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop) then after doing all I can do in Lightroom convert to a Tiff for a final touch up in Photoshop Elements 10. I like the Clone Stamp and the Spot Healing Brush in Photoshop better than the ones in Lightroom. I also apply Local Contrast Enhancement in Photoshop using the Unsharp Mask. Then I save the image as a Tiff along with the DNG in my catalogue of images. I just looked at your second image...to me it looks better. Below I have posted a Red Winged Blackbird very similar to yours. How does it look on your monitor? Much of photo editing in personal taste, and no two people see the same way.

Redwing Blackbird

Another thought Rollin, I am not sure whether you do your editing on a desktop or a laptop but with the laptop the screen position is critical.

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Thank you Joe for your suggestions. I have never quite understood what lightroom does that Photoshop does not or cannot. For that reason I have never used it. I was under the impression that Lightroom was more of a database for work flow but from what you tell me, it also is used for image enhancement in RAW, something I have never done. I convert in BreezeBrowser but only for its easy use for that purpose compared to ACR. I don't use my lap top for editing, though I could. My lap top's ,monitor is very sensetive to its angle and drives me nuts.

Your image is stunning, a good standard with which I can compare in the future. On my monitor the red wing, orange and green of the foliage appear is a little over saturated which might explain the flat appearance of my images when posted. I will know better after I get my Spyder 4 calibration software.

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Rollin, unless the policy has changed you can go to Adobe's website and try Lightroom for 30 days without any obligation to buy it. The thing that may seem puzzling at first is that to work on an image in Lightroom you have to import it into it's catalogue. Once imported use the Develop Module to post process. It would be a little learning curve but not too difficult, and there many good tutorials online whether videos or text. A good thing if you were to purchase it is the the price was reduced from $299 to $149 with version 4. Concerning the laptop monitor if you adjust it so that when you are editing the reflection of your eyes is in the center of the monitor it will be in the best position. Keep shooting my friend.

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Thanks again Joe you are most helpful. I am assuming that Lightroom is compatible with my Photoshop CS2 (I know it is an old model, but so am I). Lightroom might also solve my problem that CS2 ACR is not compatible with my Canon 50D since there is no CR plugin to accommodate that particular camera with my CS2.

Best wishes

Rollin E. Drew

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Rollin, Lightroom 4 which uses Adobe Camera Raw 7 is not compatable with the Cannon 50D. It appears that camera is not supported anymore.
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 7th August 2012 at 09:01 PM.

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

To bad, I don't know why Adobe has such a problem with Canon's 50D, other models are now supported.

Real Name
    Paul

Your edit has certainly helped it. Nicely done.