Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Storing RAW files on a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet running Android

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Storing RAW files on a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet running Android

For work purposes, I have just started using a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet (because it has a stylus for handwriting and is sold as a 'for business' unit) and it is primarily used for reading and editing (Documents to Go), Note taking (Notes Mobile) and Mind Mapping (Mindjet)

If, for personal purposes, I wanted to use it as a storage facility for RAW files when I'm away from home (so that I can then load them onto my PC when I do get back home), can I do that? Is there an App (I'm still coming to terms with the world of Apps (no, I don't have one of them smart mobile/cell phones) and how they work.

Please give me the idiot's guide on this and don't get too technical.

Real Name
    Russell

Re: Storing RAW files on a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet running Android

Hello Donald, I just did a search on Yahoo and came up with this, now I am also not an Android member but maybe point you in the direction.
    Russ
    http://www.androidsoftware.us/Applic...roid-Demo.html

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=40823151

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Russell

That's been really helpful. It also led me down all sorts of other pathways and I ended up looking at
    CR2 Thumbnailer
    Rawdroid
    RawVision
    DSLR Controller
    and the one I did download Photo Review

This Apps business (for someone coming late to the party) is great fun!
    Last edited by Donald; 1st August 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Donald, I think the best bet would be for us to find a twelve year old kid to help us in this new and confusing world of tablets, apps and smartphones.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Donald, I think the best bet would be for us to find a twelve year old kid to help us in this new and confusing world of tablets, apps and smartphones.
    I think that is a very wise suggestion.

It's interesting that my partner, who works a careers guidance officer and supports young people in making career choices, was at a seminar recently where the audience was advised that, in terms of how information and technology is accessed and used, people like her need to understand that children and young people are just wired differently than our generation. They do not share the history that we have in terms of a pre-internet, etc age, so do not have to lose all that in order to adapt in the way that we do.

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with the wiring problem that older people may have.

My wife has a master's degree in Nursing Education from the University of Texas and she has taught nursing at the college level for well over 25-years before retiring... so she is absolutely no slouch in the brains department.

However, in order to effectively correct a paper, she needs to print it out and see it in the hard copy. She just doesn't see things as well on a computer monitor. She has had her eyes checked recently so it is not bad vision. I guess it's just her wiring!

An this is a gal who can spot a deer in the thickest brush, a small bird in the highest tree and a mountain goat far up on the mountain. She just cannot effectively read a computer monitor...

Our computer screens are about six feet apart and I will often spot things on her screen that she doesn't see sitting up close. Yet, she will point to a bird on a tree through the window of our office with the tree about 30 meters away. I won't be able to see the darn thing without her pointing it out and sometimes don't even see it with her pointing at it..

Real Name
    Eugen

Hi Donald,

It looks like RawVision is able to do what you need. I would suggest you download the demo and test it first.
    I used to work with RawDroid but for some reason today it refused to work so I can't recommend it anymore.

If RawVision is able to copy the raw files to your tablet then it's perfect (you will need some sort of card reader to be able to get the images from your card - SD or CF?)
    I know for sure that with SD cards is very easy to find an adaptor, when talking about CF cards, it gets complicated because the card reader might demand too much power from the tablet and it won't work.
    My advice - get first something to allow you to read your card, then worry next about transfering files and others. Apps are gazzillions and very easy to find, hardware ... not really.

Real Name
    Remco

If it is just for storing the RAW files, you should be able to just transfer the RAW files to the tablet
    (or better: to an external hard drive, given the size of the tablet's HD). As far as I can see, all the app(lication)s
    you list are to view the RAW files, and shouldn't be needed to transfer the files. You'll need a card reader though.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

For someone who was, until recently, in the dinosaur category in relation to the newer technologies, the above comments are enormously helpful. Thank you all.