Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cascading Water

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Cascading Water

This is the first photo I've posted in this forum. If I comment on other peoples' images, I should at least give everyone a chance to review my work. And, yes, I would appreciate hearing any suggestions.

This is scene that I photographed from the North Country Trail as it passed through Shippenville, PA, USA. It was a very dark, overcast day and we just missed the rain.

Cascading Water

Nikon D700, 1/6 sec, f16, ISO 800, focal length 75 mm, handheld.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Cascading Water

Wow Ken, I really like the composition of this pic. The angle of the fallen tree really helps center the eye. Forest's can be so hard because there is so much too look at, IMHO. The colors are beautiful. I'm too new at this to give an constructive feedback on teh water, but I think it is so interesting how the camera focuses some parts and not others. I think it shows the movement of the water--makes the shot very dynamic. It's almost as if I can hear it as well as see it. But I don't if that is what you wanted. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

I really like this. The greens came out really well especially if it was such a dark day. You must have steady hands to shoot at that shutter speed with no blurring

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nice piece of work Ken. Exposure and colour are just right IMO and the image conveys a lovely mood. Great composition too.

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like the splotch of light in the area of the fallen tree. It's nicely in line with the falling water. A very pleasing image all around.

Real Name
    Richard

I like this shot very much. As mentioned above it portrays a forest mood quite well. I prefer water which is slightly blurred like this stream rather than the "cotton-candy" look that results from longer exposures. The blurring is intended to portray a sense of motion and the "cotton candy" look freezes the water and, IMO,takes away from the motion rather than adds to it...

BTW: great hand-hold at 1/6 second using 75mm! Did you brace the camera against something or are you just that rock steady in your hold?

Real Name
    Terri

I've nothing new to add that everyone else hasn't already said, except that I like it too! Very nice.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    BTW: great hand-hold at 1/6 second using 75mm! Did you brace the camera against something or are you just that rock steady in your hold?
    I probably leaned against a tree for this one. I also take multiple shots, as fast as the camera will shoot them. The idea being that the 2nd and later will not be affected by my pressing shutter release, and chances are one of the images will be sharp. I often have to take about 6 shots to get one clear image, but then I have a delete key on my computer.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

This would be an excellent image for shooting two sequence of shots, one at about 1/6 sec as you have done and another set at around 1/250 sec. You could than use the faster shutter speed images to preserve the detail in the movement of the branches and flat water surfaces and blend in the faster moving water where it is falling to avoid the 'frozen' water look.

Here is an example of using this technique: Project 52 by Frank Miller