Thread: Photo places around Vermont area USA

Real Name
    Archie Scott

Photo places around Vermont area USA

I am planning to go and visit in New Hampshire & Vermont in late September & early October for around for a week.
    What places should I try and visit for some good photos of the Fall.
    Regards
    Archie Scott
    Scotland

Real Name
    Brad

Re: Photo places around Vermont area USA

I would say northern New Hampshire (White Mountains) and northern Vermont (the Northeast Kingdom) would be your best bets for fall foliage in late September, and you can work your way farther south the first week of October. Keep an eye on this page as the season approaches:

http://www.leafpeepers.com/vermont.htm

We've had a very dry summer this year (I currently live in Montréal but spent 10 years living in Vermont and 10 years before that in Massachusetts), so the leaf show may not be as wonderful this autumn as they usually are, but much depends on the weather.

Anywhere in the White Mountain National Forest (New Hampshire) should be pretty spectacular. The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont is nice because there's more farmland and thus more contrast in scenery -- not just mountains and trees.

Another good tip for Vermont is to follow Route 100 from north to south -- it's a very scenic drive and should be full of great fodder for photography at that time of year. But it will also be full of other leaf peepers.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I can't recommend highly enough the White Mountains National Forest area. Highlights include:

Franconia Notch State Park
    Kancamagus Highway in White Mountains National Forest
    Mt. Washington summit (hike or drive to it)
    North Conway Railroad Depot (also consider booking a short ride on its narrow gauge train, though I didn't)
    Old cemeteries with gravestones dated before the American Revolutionary War
    Great hiking trails (if you want details about particular hikes, let me know)

We went to New Hampshire last year when you are planning to go. Even though I spent a lot of time researching the ideal time of year to be there, there was very little Fall foliage when we went. Some locals said that was because we were there a bit early, advising us that the ideal time is typically to begin the vacation on Columbus Day. (This is contrary to all of the foliage maps that I saw displayed on the Internet.). Others said the little color that was there was drab because they had had such an unusually large amount of rain that year. That was the year that Vermont's towns were seriously flooded and many highways in both Vermont and New Hampshire were washed out.

If you haven't researched the impact the very dry summer season is likely to have on fall color, either timing or intensity of color, you might want to consider doing so. The results might dramatically enhance your vacation.

I should add that our vacation was terrific despite that we joke that it was the Fall Foliage vacation that had no fall foliage. You really can't miss.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 31st July 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Real Name
    Virginia

Hi, Archie -

I'd suggest the St. Gaudens NHS which is literally just over the river from VT near Cornish, NH. He's one of the most important American-born sculptors and worked from the mid-1800s until the early 1900s. The David Farragut and William Tecumseh Sherman statues in NYC are his as is the Adams Memorial in Rock Creek Park in DC. In the NHS, they have some early models, castings, etc. of his major works. http://www.nps.gov/saga/index.htm is the website for the historic site.

Enjoy! v

Real Name
    Frank Deland

Read about the Long Trail and here is a list of hikes with endless photo ops in Vermont.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=114