Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

  1. #1
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Another one I've finally gotten round to processing, almost two months after I shot it. This is the bridge that links l'île de Ré to mainland France at La Rochelle.

    All C&C welcome.

    Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Thanks for viewing

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,698

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    And I suppose that if the fishing rod is removed the bridge collapses.

    A nice mixture of lines and textures.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    161
    Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Very nice perspective emphasized by the lines in the sand. What camera and lens?

  4. #4
    Ken Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    800
    Real Name
    Ken Curtis

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    This is a wonderful shot, although sadly, I would clone out the fishing rod, which appears as a distraction. On the other hand, I like the curve of the bridge and the sky and water add interest and context. The grooves in the sand are terrific and behave as leading lines to carry the eye out into the rest of the image. Good job!

  5. #5
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    And I suppose that if the fishing rod is removed the bridge collapses.

    A nice mixture of lines and textures.
    God! I hope not! I was standing right underneath it!

    Cheers Geoff!

    Quote Originally Posted by redrew View Post
    Very nice perspective emphasized by the lines in the sand. What camera and lens?
    Hi Rollin E. Drew, for this I used a Nikon D90 with Sigma 10.0-20.0 mm f/4.0-5.6 @ 10mm, f/11 with a shutter speed of 1/200. ISO 200.

    I processed the RAW file in ACR and then made some adjustments in Photoshop CS5. I ran the B&W conversion in Silver Efex Pro 2.

    Cheers

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    This is a wonderful shot, although sadly, I would clone out the fishing rod, which appears as a distraction. On the other hand, I like the curve of the bridge and the sky and water add interest and context. The grooves in the sand are terrific and behave as leading lines to carry the eye out into the rest of the image. Good job!
    Thanks Ken, I considered doing this and may well give it a go. I have some other shots where the rod doesn't overlap the bridge, which I think may look a bit neater. Thanks for your comments though

  6. #6
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,973
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    I have some other shots where the rod doesn't overlap the bridge, which I think may look a bit neater.
    I think that might work, so long as it's not at the expense of diluting the impact of those lines taking us into the image, provided by the sand. They're brilliant.

    That's a good one.

  7. #7
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    OK, so here it is without the fishing rod...

    Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Perhaps I should change the title now! :P

  8. #8
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think that might work, so long as it's not at the expense of diluting the impact of those lines taking us into the image, provided by the sand. They're brilliant.

    That's a good one.
    Thanks Donald, I posted the above before I'd seen your reply. I decided to clone the rod for the very reasons you stated. I felt this was the best image for the sand, which I love

  9. #9
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,973
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Thanks Donald, I posted the above before I'd seen your reply. I decided to clone the rod for the very reasons you stated. I felt this was the best image for the sand, which I love
    Yep, I think Ken called it right. It is better without the rod and, yes, there was no way you could compromise on the lines in the sand. They just have to be there.

  10. #10
    cliffmccartney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knoxville TN, USA
    Posts
    266
    Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Fantastic shot, Tommy. Wonderful composition. The lines in the sand took my eyes right to the first pier, and the pier took me to the rest of the bridge. Just great.

    I agree that the shot is better without the fishing rod, although I suspect that there is an interesting shot of the sand, water, and rod (minus the bridge) to be had.

  11. #11
    Ken Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    800
    Real Name
    Ken Curtis

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    I like the shot with fishing rod removed.

    Suggest removing the word "Fishing" from title.

  12. #12
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    422
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Great shot. The lines in the sand are awesome

  13. #13
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Fishing under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Thanks guys for your comments. I think I agree that the fishing rod was a distraction and prefer the second one too.

    Thanks again

  14. #14
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,290
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Nice shot Tommy, better 'without'

    I hesitate to be so mean as to enquire as to whether you'd agree with me that it might need a tiny (< 1 degree) anti-clockwise rotation to level the sea?

    btw I changed the title in my reply

  15. #15
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Nice shot Tommy, better 'without'

    I hesitate to be so mean as to enquire as to whether you'd agree with me that it might need a tiny (< 1 degree) anti-clockwise rotation to level the sea?

    btw I changed the title in my reply
    You know what... ...I noticed that the horizons wasn't perfectly level just after I'd uploaded it and it was my own laziness that stopped me from fixing it. Given that I am usually extremely pedantic about this with other peoples' photos then I should really have sorted it out. I deserve all the criticism I should get for that!

    Thanks for pointing it out, Dave

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: Under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    I understand that the fishing rod was a distraction in your photo. However, it also gave your photo some context that I think made it a more interesting picture.

  17. #17
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,290
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    You know what... ...I noticed that the horizons wasn't perfectly level just after I'd uploaded it and it was my own laziness that stopped me from fixing it. Given that I am usually extremely pedantic about this with other peoples' photos then I should really have sorted it out. I deserve all the criticism I should get for that!

    Thanks for pointing it out, Dave
    Occassionally I do that

    So far I got away with it
    Not anymore, eh

  18. #18
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Well I am terrible for pointing it out. It's one of my biggest pet hates. So I kind of deserved it.

    I'll be scrutinising your horizons in future though now Dave!

  19. #19
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Hello Tommy, great image. Wonderful compostition and tones. After reading the comments concerning the fishing rod I would keep both versions. I like it both ways.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    212
    Real Name
    Arlen

    Re: Under le Pont de l'île de Ré

    Well, as a fisherman, I really wanted to keep the rod, but I agree this image is better without it. If you were to "stage" the thing all over again, I think it would be possible to arrange the rod in a way so that it reinforces the directionality of the sand lines leading towards the "stacked" columns, and avoids the tip touching the bridge. But that's all speculation. What is not in dispute is that this is a very fine image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •