Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Subject Inspired by the Olympics

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Subject Inspired by the Olympics

While watching the Olympics today, I learned that the bicycle was invented in Scotland. I wish I had known that when I captured these two images there on slide film ten years ago.

C&C encouraged, as always.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Re: Subject Inspired by the Olympics

Interesting shots. Maybe as a suggestion how would #1 look if some of the top frame were cropped? I feel the frame of the upper window tends to draw my eye up away from the bike.
    And the Scots would seem to lacking in the aesthetic graces. Who else would wear Kilts when it is cold enough to have Hell freeze over and then play bagpipes to further add to their discomfiture? Okay so maybe there are the Irish I suppose. But then they live so close to the Scots that they have probably been infected by the pipe playing kilt clad virus and so don't really count. What I am hinting at in a subtle way is who in their right mind would build such a magnificent stone archway and then totally ruin it with that horrid green and white monstrosity down the RHS of the frame?
    What if someone clever like you did some renovations and transposed some of the LHS stone work to get rid of the green eye catching monstrosity stripe? Okay maybe not strictly Kosher, there being lies, damned lies and then there being Photoshop. But do you think it might make for a better composition?
    In closing I have to apologize to any Scotsperson I may have offended. It is well known that the Scots have invented many things of great importance to us all. To cite one classical example, the invention of copper wire by two Scotsmen fighting over a penny they saw lying in the gutter.....Sorry, have to go and leave it there. Just noticed a couple of very large, quite red faced bekilted chaps heading towards me....

Real Name
    Terri

I really love the colors and contrast of the first image. What a neat old bicycle parked there. I do agree that the upper window is distracting. Probably more because it's not centered over the lower one than for any other reason...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks to both of you for the feedback about the upper red window in the first one. The reason I cropped it the way I did is that it seemed static to eliminate the top window. I'll mull it over.

Ken, I'm reasonably confident that the entire building in the second image is made of stone and that the right side of it is covered with painted stucco. I don't have any objection to digitally recreating the arch and other stonework to eliminate the stucco on the right. However, to do it properly is probably more trouble than the image is worth.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

I knew it was rendered. But as for the remodelling being too much effort.? Well maybe, and it is your call, as it is your work. But it is really a great shot.
    Ken