Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Howzat

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Howzat

Vale of Leven Cricket Club in action today....comments welcomeHowzat

EXIF: Sony A230 200mm, 1/320s, f/5.6, iso 400
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 30th July 2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: added EXIF data

Real Name
    John

Re: Howzat

Hi Bernard,
    you can't go far wrong with a cricket shot .

I would just do a slight crop on the lefthand side, but more important just lighten his face slightly. Just two small PP ajustments that might just make a nice shot even nicer.
    Thanks for sharing.

Yes a good action shot. And you have just managed to avoid over exposure on a tricky subject.

The trouble with a slight crop, which John suggested, is that you can't lose anything from the top or bottom so it would mean going to a different size ratio.

I suppose you could lose a little from both sides if that made resizing easier.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Bernard,

If mine, I would be looking to increase the sharpness and punch of (only) the player and bat.

The shutter speed of 1/320s wasn't quite fast enough to freeze his movement and since (judging by the sharp stumps) you didn't pan with him, he's softer than ideal. I accept it is good to have a bit of blur on the ball though - and that is 'just right' so in that respect, it was the correct choice.

I suspect, like me, you don't own a faster (e.g. f/2.8) telephoto zoom, so suggesting that a narrower DoF would be beneficial (to give separation from background) is unhelpful.

The pitch is somewhat littered with leaves, I might clone out a few of the more significant ones.

I edited your post to include the EXIF data, I hope you don't mind.

Cheers,