Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How could I improve this portrait?

Real Name
    Dave

How could I improve this portrait?

I'm working through some old slides and trying to get images out of them. This was taken some years ago, in less than ideal conditions, and with very grainy film. Still, I think it has something going for it. Is it possible to improve the clarity of the image and reduce grain (I have PSE9)? Or maybe it should be left as is, since that's the way I took it? Any C&C most welcome.

BTW the Ituri pygmies live (I hope they still do) in the Ituri forest, on the slopes of the Ruwenzori mountains, in the far east of the DRC. I've no idea how they have fared during all the troubles in that part of the world.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Re: How could I improve this portrait?

Hi Dave,
    I like it as it is, but if you want to reduce the noise it is possible, here's my humble attempt.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks very much. If you don't mind sharing - how did you go about that? (I'm rather new to the PP world)

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Thanks very much. If you don't mind sharing - how did you go about that? (I'm rather new to the PP world)
    Sorry Dave I should have said.
    Like you I use Elements 9 but downloaded a 'plug-in' called Neat a 'noise' reduction plug-in. This plug-in can be downloaded free for non-commercial use at this site:
    http://www.neatimage.com/win/photoshop/index.html?d85
    This package once installed can be found in Element 9 under the 'Filter' tab. Very easy to use; must be even I can use it.lol

The only other thing I did was some selective sharpen on the man himself.
    Finished off by adding a border, but perhaps; like many on this site borders are not for you.
    I hope this helps.
    Kind regards

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, John, I'll certainly give that a try. I have a lot of slides taken on high ISO Ekatachrome (didn't have image stabilisation in those days) which could really benefit from this treatment.

Dave

That was impressive! What a difference.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Dave, what a great image this is for he memories. I have a few old crackers myself of aboriginal elders that are damaged or have faults, but well worth the effort to fix hem up. As you can see by Johns effort it is always possible to make an image better and this is one which you will never have a chance to capture again. I too hope that this mans people are still OK. It is tragic to see this sort of image becoming a thing of the past. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the encouragement, Wayne. I have a few more from DRC that I'm now inspired to have a go at. I've been lucky enough to travel to some extraordinary places, and it would be a shame if the images and memories of some of these people are lost. I've not been lucky enough to travel to Oz (unless you count an overnight stay in Sydney) but if ever we do then Northern Territories is certainly an area we'd like to visit - though I understand it needs a different time of the year than further south.

Real Name
    Steve

I had a go with Topaz DeNoise5, Topaz InFocus and Topaz Detail; all available as a plug in trial.

Don't think it as good as the above though.

Real Name
    Dave

Actually Steve, I think your is the best! Always personal opinion of course I'm going to have to give it my very best shot and see what I can do.