Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Single Flash Outdoors At Dusk

Real Name
    Richard

Single Flash Outdoors At Dusk

550EX pointed straight up bounced into a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro with FlipIt portion tilted forward at 45 degrees.. Backlit by the sun which had set below the horizon.

Re: Single Flash Outdoors At Dusk

Works well for me, Richard.

In the first shot the model is possibly looking a little pensive but that may have been what was required.

Real Name
    Brian

More great photos
    Is your DOF that shallow, or are you blurring things in post?

Thanks

Real Name
    Richard

I did not do any PP blurring on these. I shot wide open on mt 70-200mm f/4L IS lens at 169mm

Real Name
    Brian

I love that lens - especially at F4. I shoot most portraits between F5.6 and F11 though.
    You captured her eyes wonderfully
    The first photo looks a tad dark to me, though that may have been exactly what you wanted.

Real Name
    Richard

I am wondering if my monitor is not showing the images lighter than they actually are... I have been using a Huey Pro to calibrate the monitor and it is calibrated just great for my printer. However, most images from other folks look good on my monitor

Real Name
    Brian

Richard, I don't think is anything is wrong, and the thing that is probably out of calibration is me
    I think I tend to overexpose things a tad.

Real Name
    Richard

"I love that lens (the 70-200mm f/4L IS) - especially at F4. I shoot most portraits between F5.6 and F11 though."

I would venture to say that the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens is my favorite of all my lenses. I use it for virtually everything I shoot, people, dogs, landscapes... EVERYTHING. It is an all around lens for me and I can carry the f/4L IS + an extra 1.6x camera on which it is mounted at the same weight as the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 (series) lens alone. A nice thing about the f/4L IS lens is that it is sharp wide open and it produces very smooth bokeh.

I also shoot many of my portraits between f/5.6 - f/11. However, I will not hesitate to shoot at f/4 when I want to take advantage of a narrow DOF. In this case, I wanted to ensure that the BG was out of focus. Being confident of shooting wide open mitigates the somewhat slow (f/4) maximum aperture. There are some f/2.8 lenses which are only sharp at f/4 and smaller.

Here is an example of shooting wide open for narrow DOF... If I had shot at f/8-f/11 I would have had a very busy background. If I had used a higher shutter speed, I would have had a completely black BG which I didn't really want. I am not terribly keen on this image so I didn't do any PP but. I posted it simply because it shows the narrow DOF with the background OOF and plaesing to me) bokeh.

The background would have been quite busy at a smaller f/stop. The light was changing rapidly, so I used aperture priority exposure.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st July 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for your reply Rihard, I appreciate the insight.