Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armadale, Isle of Skye

Real Name
    Sharon

Armadale, Isle of Skye

First one from the beautiful Isle of Skye.

All comment and critique welcomed.

Armadale, Isle of Skye

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Armadale, Isle of Skye

I like the way the leading lines of the foreground point to the sailboat in the background.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That will do very nicely!

Beautifully constructed image. From the bit of rocky foreshore coming across the frame right at the bottom and and, then, as Mike says,. giving us a strong diagonal into the image, up to the way you have muted the headland and lifted up the white of the yachts against it.

Lovely.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you Mike and Donald.

High praise indeed.

It has been suggested that I 'lose' the 2 smaller boats and the bottom layer of rocks...any thoughts?

Real Name
    Bruce

Sharon: very nice photo. Bruce

Real Name
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Thank you Mike and Donald.

High praise indeed.

It has been suggested that I 'lose' the 2 smaller boats and the bottom layer of rocks...any thoughts?
    Hello Sharon. Your picture keeps me interested. My eyes go from the rocks to the boats to the montains and back again(wishing I've been there).A powerfull picture that keeps wanting me more. More to come I hope. Dont "loose a thing".

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

With respect to whomsoever suggested that - 'No way'. Okay, it could probably carry that one on the extreme right going, but that would be it.

As my first post above stated, that bottom of layer of rocks is the foundation on which the image sits. To me it's integral and the image would be much weaker without that. But, that is only my view and I'm sure others would feel it a better image without those rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    Dont "loose a thing".
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    that bottom of layer of rocks is the foundation on which the image sits. To me it's integral and the image would be much weaker without that. But, that is only my view
    Nope. It's also my view.

Real Name
    Sharon

Excellent!

Thank you guys. I am totally happy with it as it is and I think it was a case of someone on a forum 'needing to find something' to critique. ( they are out there!)

Glad to have my judgement endorsed by the 'Quality forum'

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Excellent!

Thank you guys. I am totally happy with it as it is and I think it was a case of someone on a forum 'needing to find something' to critique. ( they are out there!)

Glad to have my judgement endorsed by the 'Quality forum'
    And the moral of this tale, for all you naugthy people out there who wander away from the nest, is ....... Stick with CiC.

Real Name
    Sharon

Troof dat!

I post on 3 forums...but only one feels like home....I think I started a thread on that! Dear CiC

I am always fascinated by the difference in opinions though and I have to say that on this trip West the sheer snobbery of the 'big gun' toggers from all over Europe quite disgusted me. No friendly banter just 'my lens is bigger than your lens'.

I took the above shot with my compact Canon S95 and I must say it served me very well.

Real Name
    Jon

Sharon, Lovely image. well done. I just have one thing to add..."Your lens IS bigger than mine!"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

... and I have to say that on this trip West the sheer snobbery of the 'big gun' toggers from all over Europe quite disgusted me. No friendly banter just 'my lens is bigger than your lens'.
    But, as we know, this is always indicative of deficiencies in sizes of other masculine appendages.

Real Name
    Bruce

Sharon, a wonderful photo. It brought back memories of a trip to Skye and the Outer Hebrides several decades ago, when I was using an elderly folding camera with bellows, 120 film and no big lens!

Shame on you, Sharon, for wandering off the reservation.

the sheer snobbery of the 'big gun' toggers from all over Europe quite disgusted me.
    I generally stay away from discussions with photographers that I encounter because of the tendency to talk gear and software when I would rather talk about travel or whatever I'm experiencing at the time. That's partly because my first priority when travelling is to experience the scenery, the culture, etc. and my second priority is to photograph it.

Real Name
    Sharon

What can I say Mike..I am a wild child! lol

I didn't get into conversations with them either, it's not your equipment that matters, it's your vision.

I did almost physically prevent a guy in a pub from ramming the lens on his girlfriend's brand new birthday Nikon ( she had just unwrapped it) He had no regard at all for the contacts and was doing it some real damage. I was weeping inside so just had to intervene.

Thank you Bruce, so glad it brought back good memories

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Great work and I love the rocks. Maybe to satisfy the carping critiquers ( Okay I know there was no such word until I made this one up. Can do this as, unlike French, English is still a living language! ) you could 'lose' that barely discernible miniscule sail in right high mid field. But those lovely focal point rocks have to be left well alone.
    And as for any discussion on the comparative size of lenses and male appendages conferring a happy end result,. I was always led to believe, " it ain't what you've got, but what you do with it that really counts in the long run." And irrespective of the relative size of your lens Daisey, ' You done gone and did real goodly! " Great photographic art work.

Real Name
    Dan

I think it is a beautiful image. I would not "lose" the sailboats. They add interest. I would actually consider cropping a very small amount from the bottom. The rocks at the bottom are a key part of the composition, so I am not suggesting that you crop them out. However, if you took a bit off the bottom, you would have a clearer diagonal line, without the distraction of the different line at the very bottom.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Your photos from Skye have made me add this to my travel bucket list. I have always thought it would be a neat place to visit but now I'm sure of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast