Thread: First Pics 1DX

Real Name
    Mark

First Pics 1DX

I finally managed to get outside today and try to get the hang of the multitude of ai servo focusing options on the 1dx. These photos were taken using all 61 focus points with the intelligent tracking system. The camera recognises the primary subject and then tracks focus on that subject, based on its initial calculations using shape and colour. It tracks amazingly well and most shots were within acceptable limits. I have the autofocus option set for erratic moving subjects which did work better than the stock standard setting. In hindsight I should have set it on the accelerating/decelerating setting for my dog Allie. I think it will be even better if I use the 1 point autofocus option

She runs like the wind and I really want to capture her at full speed. Once I get the exact setting mastered I'll get it right. In the meantime here are few I took this afternoon. My early assessment is that the autofocus system on this camera is going to be in a league of its own. It is a lot more intuitive than the 1D iv and the camera is a little easier to use.

First Pics 1DX

First Pics 1DX

First Pics 1DX

First Pics 1DX

Real Name
    John

Re: First Pics 1DX

Hi Mark,
    It looks to me that everything worked out fine.
    IMO this is how I would rate them:
    #1 Very Good
    #2 Good
    #3 Fantastic (would have liked to see a bit more space for the dog to run into: I know easier said than done, but still my favourite)
    #4 Good
    So if you would like my overall opinion, “A winning set”
    Well done.

Real Name
    Mark

Hi John

Thanks for the comments.
    I'm not too concerned about compostion. My main thing here was trying to get perfect focus. This might sound simple, but its easier said than done. Maintaining focus on a fast, erratic and unpredictable subject really puts a camera to the test. I'm really happy with this lot. I've only spent about 20 minutes outdoors with this camera. I've got a few ideas about how I want to photograph this dog. I've got to make sure I have my settings spot on before I trundle off to the beach at sunset.

I've also got to make sure I get some sleep now that the Olympics has started. Everything happens in the middle of the night over here.

Real Name
    Ciorstaidh

Number 3 is by far my favourite and the type of shots I would love to get! Well done to you.

Real Name
    Myra

Great shots! The focus looks like it's spot on. Enjoy the Olympics AND your new camera

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Congrats on the new arrival Mark

Bit of a "learning curve" isn't it!

Now ... if only my RRS L-Bracket would arrive - then I'd be able to mount it on the tripod!

PS: 3rd copy of EF70-200 F2.8L IS USM II arriving tomorrow or Wednesday; fingers crossed that "this is the one".

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Fascinating to be part of observing the development of you using the camera. On the evidence of this set, it does indeed seem to be match for a fast moving Allie.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Congrats on the new arrival Mark

Bit of a "learning curve" isn't it!

Now ... if only my RRS L-Bracket would arrive - then I'd be able to mount it on the tripod!

PS: 3rd copy of EF70-200 F2.8L IS USM II arriving tomorrow or Wednesday; fingers crossed that "this is the one".
    That lens must be driving you crazy. Mine has never missed a beat. I'm going to have a decent go with the new camera this weekend. I'm not finding the transition too difficult. I have a 1d IV and, believe it or not, it is much harder to program the AF modes on that compared to this one. I still need to run through all my lenses and check whether any of them need any micro adjustments. I'm also not sure if I should sell the 1d iv or my 5Dii. It'll probably be the 5D because I know when I'm off to my next sporting event I'll need 2 hi speed bodies. It'll just be really heavy lugging them around.