Thread: Grandson again

Real Name
    Bob

Grandson again

I received so much good advice last time I thought I'd try again. I have cropped out some stairs, to his right, but would like to emphasize his face a little more. Suggestions. I will be using Gimp for Post Processing
    Grandson again

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Grandson again

Nice portrait. IMHO lacks a little contrast (a bit too 2 dimensional). You could use the levels or curves tool to bring it up a bit. Crop in bit tighter behind him and put a slight vignette around him to make him really stand out. I love the background. A really busy background just takes away from the subject. Well done.

Real Name
    Bob

I used the curves tool and cropped,as suggested, but I will have to practice a little more for 'layers' and vignette.

Grandson again

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Bob: I think it's important to understand why the second crop works better for me. Unlike the first one, there is now more space in front of the boy than to the rear. As a result, he is looking into the empty space, which gives the viewer a natural feeling. Also, many images appear static when the subject is placed dead center, so the second image eliminates that possibility.

As for the contrast and saturation in the second image, it seems a bit too much to me though you have definitely gone in the right direction. Try backing off both a bit, perhaps about halfway between the two images, and see what you think.

Real Name
    John

Hi Bob,
    I must agree with Mike, halfway between the 2 shots and I think you will be there.
    I like what your producing here; great little boy and a great subject.
    Well done.

You said, when we spoke before in you 1st post of your grandson you didn't mind me trying some PP on your pictures I couldn't resist again.

Grandson again

Real Name
    Bob

Mike, John, thank you both for your input. I'm informed and inspired.