Thread: Some captures of lighting

Real Name
    Paul

Some captures of lighting

Captured some pictures of an oncoming cold front that was kind enough to unleash some bolts of lightning for me.

5D MK3
    17-40mm wide angle set to ISO 3200 F/11 1/6 sec burst mode
    Inside
    Outside

The weather got a little too crazy for my liking, so I had to go inside and take a few more from the inside.
    http://www.paulrizziphotography.com/...Thunderstorms/
    I hope to get a few more opportunities before the summer is out to take some more storm pics.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Some captures of lighting

Paul

Do you think that second one would work better if you took out that bit of tree at the bottom right?

I know the lighting bolt is much further away in the second one, but I think that, as an image, it packs a much more powerful punch than the first one. The first one, for me, is a bit sort-of, "Oh yeh. Another lightning bolt." But the second one (I wish you had posted it at a much larger size) really packs a dramatic punch. The clouds and the light within them, are wonderful.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Some captures of lighting

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I had to crop out a street light and powercables from the bottom of the second picture since it was adding too much distraction to the frame. Unobstructed views in my immediate area are hard to come by and anyplace where I have clear views leave me unprotected and open to the elements. I've been looking for covered areas to take pictures of oncoming storms but have been unsuccessful to date.