Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: UV Filters Price v Quality help please

UV Filters Price v Quality help please

Hi folks, am new to both photography and this forum and would like advice please. I have read the various pros and cons re UV filters and have decided to use this type of filter on my Fuji Finepix S9600 (58mm). When I look around the various sites selling filters (from eBay to Jessops and many more), I find a significant difference in prices and also country from which the filters are supplied. I know that normally 'you get what you pay for', but as far as UV filters are concerned have no idea what a reasonable filter for a keen amateur should cost. Also from what I have seen, the filter adds rarely, if ever, identify the manufacturer. So folks, without being too technical can you help me on my way please. Many thanks, Graham

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: UV Filters Price v Quality help please

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the CiC forums.

For that camera, I'd advise going with something that is multi-coated from a decent manufacturer, e.g. I used Hoya on my Fuji S6500, their cheapest.
    When I went DSLR, I went up a price bracket to their mid-priced version.

I wouldn't advise a non-branded e-Bay bargain though.

"Goldenhants" as in Hampshire, UK?

Regards,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Graham,

I agree with Dave. I use Heliopan SH-PMC filters on all of my lenses; apart from flare resistance, one of the nice characteristics of multi-coated filters is ease of cleaning.

Reviews of low-cost filters are mixed; some say that you can't tell the difference, but I've had a bad experience with a similar one (GND, not UV) that was eventually cured with a 2 step process: I took 2 steps and dropped it in the rubbish bin ... problem solved!

Many thanks Gents for your helpful replies. Have been looking at Hoya 58mm Pro-1 Digital UV Filter as a likely purchase. However, a couple more questions then come to mind:
    1. Will my Fuji lens cap fit securely to the Hoya filter (cannot find any reference to Hoya filter caps on the internet)
    2. My lens hood appears unusable, or can I also purchase some type of converter / stacking ring (58 to 58)

Apologies for asking what will appear to you as very basic questions.
    Thanks again for your help, Graham (from Fareham, Hants)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Graham,

I bought the Pro-1 Digital for my Nikon D5000, so it should good enough for a bridge camera.

BTW Amazon.co.uk resellers were by far the cheapest and most reliable source, mine came in <48 hours.

If your 9600 lens hood is a bayonet fit like my S6500 was, it will still be usable.

Also, there shouldn't be any problem with the lens hood, assuming it is the standard pinch to fit into the filter thread style, because; yes, the Pro-1 Digital's do have a front thread. to accept another filter (e.g. CPL).

Regards,

Real Name
    Malcolm

Hello, I have Nikon NC on my Nikon D40 and my concern is to protect the lens. I have used this filter on many Nikon cameras for more than 30 year and it is still very clean and clear. I believe that you get what you pay for.

Mal Stevens

I use Sigma EX DG filters. They are multi-coated and as 'DG' are part of Sigma's high quality range. The one for your camera is about £30. I have heard a lot of people say that you should always use a good quality UV filter because the lens is made to operate as perfectly as possible as it stands, and putting any filter on may reduce lens effectiveness. Some people don't use anything, relying on taking good care of their lenses.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...ilter/p1013031

They will not impede the fitting of your lens cap, flash adapter ring, or hood.

Real Name
    Bill

Since i bought my Canon Rebel XSi in May of this year, I have been using the same Sigma Filters as "carregwen". They were introduced to me from my sales guy, they are a little pricey, but i do want quality. I would stay away from cheap in the photography world