Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

  1. #1
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    I captured these yesterday during a walk at my favorite nature reserve. I have not taken time to identify the species or common name, I will do that as time alows. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

    #1

    Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    #2

    Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    #3

    Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 25th July 2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Re-edited.

  2. #2
    TheArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    79
    Real Name
    Joshua

    Re: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    Three attractive, but very different looking species. As far as photographs go I think the first one is my favorite due to the angle of the body, the clarity, and the colors aren't washed out like they are in the second and third.

  3. #3
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheArcane View Post
    Three attractive, but very different looking species. As far as photographs go I think the first one is my favorite due to the angle of the body, the clarity, and the colors aren't washed out like they are in the second and third.
    Hello Joshua, thank you for your comments. I shall look at the images regarding your suggestions, I appreciate you being another set of eyes.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,629
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    Of the 3, #1 is the standout though the other 2 are darn good too.

    Strange how there are web strands on the 3rd.

  5. #5
    ucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seymour, Vic., Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,246
    Real Name
    Ken Outch

    Re: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    Great captures. Like all three but #3 slightly less than the others. Sharpness is great, as are the colours and cropping. Vert]]y nice presentations.

  6. #6
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Of the 3, #1 is the standout though the other 2 are darn good too.

    Strange how there are web strands on the 3rd.
    Hi Bobo, thanks for viewing and commenting. I noticed the web during post processing, otherwise I would have investigated if the dragonfly was trapped. Although the couple strands of web doesn't seem like enough to hold such a large insect captive. I am not sure of the life cycle of the dragonfly and why it was hanging on vertical, I have never seen one in that orientation before.

  7. #7
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Great captures. Like all three but #3 slightly less than the others. Sharpness is great, as are the colours and cropping. Vert]]y nice presentations.
    Thanks Ken, I appreciate you taking time to view and comment. I just looked at your Galahs, quite nice.

  8. #8
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,341
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    Hi Joe,

    Nice shots, especially #1 - that ticks all the boxes.

    These seem to be eluding me this year, several attempts at shooting one this size, latest attempt only this evening on way home from work along the canal, but so far never close enough for long enough (even with 1000mm FFE at my disposal).

    Cheers,

  9. #9
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Three Dragonflies From Yesterday...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Joe,

    Nice shots, especially #1 - that ticks all the boxes.

    These seem to be eluding me this year, several attempts at shooting one this size, latest attempt only this evening on way home from work along the canal, but so far never close enough for long enough (even with 1000mm FFE at my disposal).

    Cheers,
    Hi Dave, thank you for viewing and commenting. One aspect that makes photographing dragonflies in Florida easy is that there are a lot of them. I also have found that if they fly away wait because they seem to return to roost again on the same twig or branch. Anticipating their return makes it is easier to be ready to get off a few shots before they fly away again. I use the burst mode shooting many images as quick as possible then choosing the best. Keep shooting my friend.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •