Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera cleaning

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Camera cleaning

Hi all. I was just wandering how often do you clean your camera/'s sensor and mirror? I havent had mine cleaned since the day i got it, and thought i should because 1) When i look in my view finder i can see dust lines, but when i do look on the photos there is only one spot i see, and mostly i clone it out or it dosnt appear depending on the photo. 2) I think i should treat it like my car, service it so to speak. And im a firm believer of :If you look after it, it will look after you". .Right now its not much of a problem, but i would like to get it clean.

I have priced around the camera shops thats near me that does this, only 2 shops and both just under an hour drive or ride(if im on the motorbike), and it would cost me $70 to clean the sensor. I have watched and read tutorials on how to do it, but i dont know if i should do it myself. I prefer topay $70 to get a pro to do it and if they stuff up they fix it, compared to doing it myself, and i stuff up, and i loose alot of money(or camera).

Any advice would be great.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Camera cleaning

Other than using the cleaning cycle on the camera, I've never had to physically clean the sensor. Same comment about the mirror (no dirt there). I've used bottled compressed gas on occasion to get rid of specs on the camera's focusing screen.

If the sensor got really dirty, I would not hesitate to get a cleaning kit and have a go at it myself.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Allen, It's really down to personal preference and you will find many differing views on this topic on every forum. Having had my D300 for a number of years here's my experience;

1. My first sensor clean after having the camera for only a couple of months was done by a camera shop that offered the service for a reasonable cost. I watched their procedure and have since undertaken sensor cleaning myself always using a rocket blower and lenspen when necessary only when I consider the spots are too significant or too many to clone out.

What I have found over the years is that my frequency of sensor cleaning has greatly reduced by discipline when changing lenses. I always keep the camera facing down when removing a lens and immediately place the cap over the removed lens. Prior to fitting the replacement lens with the cap removed I blow the face (camera held away) and immediately fit to the camera. All easy of course if you have somewhere to put things in reach.

2. The mirror according to what I have read is more sensitive than the sensor with respect to cleaning so beware. Whilst I do not detect any dust or marks on mine when looking through the viewfinder I'm pretty sure I can see a faint haze that was not apparent when I originally got the camera. This could be either from the mirrior or rear of the viewfinder but as it has no affect on the pictures I'm leaving alone for now.

Grahame

Real Name
    Robin

Pretty much the same boat as Manfred - other than the auto clean when it turns off I pretty much leave the D300s alone. If I do get any dust one it (unlike Graeme I don't take care of my gear in the slightest) I've found a Rocket Blower does the trick.
    The 'haze' is likely to be the eyepiece and a quick wipe with a lens cloth will sort it out.

If it did ever need a proper clean I'd buy something and do it myself.

Real Name
    Andrew

If you look at the tutorials and are still uncomfortable enough to want to pay someone else to do the cleaning then that is what you should do. Why worry yourself unnecessarily? When you do get the urge to try it then remember a few things to help you.

-Someone else was trained to do the cleaning so you can be trained too.
    -Get good quality materials. Check the reviews.
    -Review the procedures with on-line videos going through the steps with your own camera. A dry run.
    -Write down the steps to follow and go for it.
    -Go easy. If you're nervous on your first try then take the delicate approach. Go light and do it twice if you have to.
    -Pat yourself on the back for a job well-done.

Real Name
    Dan

I have never cleaned a mirror on any of my SLRs, starting in 1968, other than once in a great while blowing it with a rocket blower.

I clean my sensor as rarely as I can. The self-cleaning often keeps it clean, but given that I switch lenses, often it is not enough. I have not kept track, but it's quite irregular--I was once able to go several years without a wet cleaning, but I think I have done one or even two a year recently. Often, it's enough to use a rocket blower, or a static brush after the blower if the blower does not suffice. I only do a wet cleaning if those both fail. I would never do this as routine maintenance. There is nothing to be gained by doing it when you don't need to.

Real Name
    Ken

I found that this is quite a good site with a good explanation if you want to do it yourself

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html