Thread: Vineyard Grafitti

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Vineyard Grafitti

Whilst I get to work on those I took this last weekend on my annual weekend in glorious cottage on the shores of Loch Lomond, this is another one from my recent trip to the Southern Rhone area of France.

The grafitti on the building and the track stretching away through the vineyard just screamed out for this sort of image, in my opinion. This was taken just minutes apart from this one and within about 20m/25 yards of it. I've got another couple from the same session that are nice little keepers, but not such strong images. I felt it was a productive session.

I always appreciate hearing your thoughts on my work.

Vineyard Grafitti
    Canon 40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 11mm. ISO100. 1/125 @f11

Real Name
    Brad

Re: Vineyard Grafitti

I love this. For me, it's the composition that's striking: all that sky above and the narrowing-to-a-point perspective of the road, everything balances and achieves a harmonious whole while still providing a lingering feeling of discord (sorry if this sounds like museum-exhibition commentary). A lesser photographer would have deemed the sky bland and uninteresting and cropped it down, thus robbing the photo of exactly what makes it special.

Real Name
    Jon

Can I just say...DITTO.

Real Name
    Robert S.

Grat shot. All lines and tones in this picture work together. The dimensions of free space (sky) and foreground together with the square crop are perfect.

bye
    Robert

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you guys. I hit a seam of creativity in that hour or so I was parked up beside the roadside and looking around for shots. What I liked about this was that I saw this finished image as soon as I saw the scene. I knew what the final picture just had to look like.
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd July 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Real Name
    Jon

Donald, I like the way you see things. That doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does I am surprised

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by bhurley View Post
    A lesser photographer would have deemed the sky bland and uninteresting and cropped it down, thus robbing the photo of exactly what makes it special.
    Yes, that's exactly what I surely would have done. Lesson learned.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    Donald, I like the way you see things. That doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does I am surprised
    Jon

I've been very fortunate in being able to access some wonderful advice and guidance that has helped me develop into what I am, photographically speaking.

One of those sources of learning has been a photographer named Alain Briot. He writes on the Nature Photographers website.

In its page of articles, if you go back to the April 2009 list and then work up through May, June and July, you see 4 articles by Briot. I found those 4 articles really opened my eyes and taught me a huge amount about thinking about my photography and what is is I'm trying to achieve.

Real Name
    Anne

Beautiful ....

Real Name
    Joshua

The photo is well composed, has good contrast, and tells a story. I'm not sure how you could ask for more.

Real Name
    Steve

A very well constructed image donald. At first i didn't like the sign post, because it really drew my attention. Then after awhile, i started to check out the grafitti on the wall.

I think it acts as a very good stop to hold you in the location for awhile. At first, i follow it(the sign) to the ground, and then back up where i see it pointing to the grafitti. Then i lock onto the grafitti on the wall, untill the road grabbs me and pulls me through the image.

Well done donald!!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    At first i didn't like the sign post,...
    I know exactly what you mean Steve. I had the same thoughts when I first saw the shot. My initial reaction was, 'I wish that d... sign post wasn't there.' But then as I started to look more closely and started to compose the shot in my head, I started to see how the sign post did belong in the image and, now, I'm at the point of feeling it would be a weaker image without it.

I think you have expressed it in words in a way I couldn't - "... it acts as a very good stop to hold you in the location for awhile."

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    it acts as a very good stop to hold you in the location for awhile."
    But you can tell by the shape that it's only a yield sign, not a stop sign.

Seriously, I liked the sign from the very beginning. It is its own form of grafiti of sorts of the shot. It also indicates that there is something behind the viewer/photographer and it makes me wonder what that is.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 24th July 2012 at 11:28 PM.