Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Soar with the Eagles...

  1. #1
    Loose Canon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    2,455
    Real Name
    Terry

    Soar with the Eagles...

    ...well, for me its more like flit with the hummingbirds!

    Soar with the Eagles...
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 22nd July 2012 at 03:28 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grafton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,340
    Real Name
    Allan Short

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Terry: I could hate you for that image, it is just so darn (want to say Damm) good. I do not even want to think about how you did it, just keep on doing it.

    Cheers:

    Allan

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,616
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Damn good shot Terry. Damn good!

    About hummers - if you have a backyard and setup up feeders they will come to you. In the wild? Forget it.

  4. #4
    Scott Stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    285
    Real Name
    Scott

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Very very nice! Do you mind sharing the camera settings you used? The lighting? Are you actually at the camera, or are you operating it from a remote distance?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Excellent job terry!!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Québec,Canada
    Posts
    696
    Real Name
    Louise

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    She sure is beatifull Terry. Well done. I am jalous too.

  7. #7
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    whatever technique you are using keep doing it. While most great nature shots are mostly being in the right place at the right time, I have a feeling this one was planned. Well done Terry.

  8. #8
    Loose Canon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    2,455
    Real Name
    Terry

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Terry: I could hate you for that image, it is just so darn (want to say Damm) good. I do not even want to think about how you did it, just keep on doing it.

    Cheers:

    Allan
    Thank you, Allan!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Damn good shot Terry. Damn good!

    About hummers - if you have a backyard and setup up feeders they will come to you. In the wild? Forget it.
    Thank you, Bobo.

    There is a feeder I am working with. The day I shot this over 10 birds were counted for sure at the feeder at one time. They swarm like bees on a hive and there is most of the time no way to count them. They start at daylight, go through most of the day with activity slowing (but never stopping completely) during the heat of the day. They start cranking back up late afternoon and go until dark.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    Very very nice! Do you mind sharing the camera settings you used? The lighting? Are you actually at the camera, or are you operating it from a remote distance?
    Thank you, Scott.

    I can get right up to the minimum focus distance with a 70-200 f/2.8L with these birds if I want to. No blind is necessary. As long as I make no sudden moves they don’t mind my presence. If I make a sudden move they will fly off only to fly right back. So I am at the camera.

    I don’t mind sharing my settings at all. Maybe someone might see something I should be doing differently.

    This shot was at F/4.0, 1/1600, ISO 400 @ 200mm. One shot manual focus. Evaluative metering. For some reason I am finding I can pre-focus on the feeder. Roll the focus ring either way with my thumb while supporting the lens. It doesn’t take much rolling but the hard part is trying to remember which way focuses in and which out! I don’t have much time to bring them into focus and it seems to be faster than auto.

    I fired three Speedlights. One in a 43” softbox @ ¼ power and set approx. 2-3 feet away from the feeder and around 45*. Another in a 16” softbox set around 5-6 feet away (as close as physically possible for this area) @ ¼ power and around 60*. The third light was on a camera bracket set for ETTL HSS and wearing a Fong Lightsphere.

    I used a tripod but had to keep the ball head relatively loose (just a tad bit of resistance) so I could move the camera quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Excellent job terry!!
    I consider you The Master Hummingbird Shootist, Steve. Thank you very much.

    Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    She sure is beatifull Terry. Well done. I am jalous too.
    Thank you, Louise. No need to be jealous. If I can do it, you can for durn sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    whatever technique you are using keep doing it. While most great nature shots are mostly being in the right place at the right time, I have a feeling this one was planned. Well done Terry.
    Thank you, Joe. Regardless of how much planning I do, for me it is still a lot of luck! I have to go away in a couple of days, but these birds typically hang around here until sometimes October. I hope to get another shot at them.

  9. #9
    WJT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    917
    Real Name
    Wayne Turner

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Brilliant Terry and all power to you for observing, noting and acting. You deserve these perfect results. I have tried less successfully some of your techniques but may be all the better for you posting this photo and telling us your secrets.

  10. #10
    Plumcrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,538
    Real Name
    Jon

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Terry, great shot and thanks for the info on your set up, very helpful...might have to give it a try

  11. #11
    terrib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado & Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,022
    Real Name
    Terri

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Another beautiful shot, Terry. This is gorgeous. Thank you for the details. I am going to keep trying, although I only have one external flash to work with.

  12. #12
    Loose Canon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    2,455
    Real Name
    Terry

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Brilliant Terry and all power to you for observing, noting and acting. You deserve these perfect results. I have tried less successfully some of your techniques but may be all the better for you posting this photo and telling us your secrets.
    Of all the things I have ever been accused of Wayne, "brilliant" has never been one among them!

    Thank you, Wayne.

    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    Terry, great shot and thanks for the info on your set up, very helpful...might have to give it a try
    Thank you, Jon. And you are more than welcome. They are a lot of fun to shoot Jon. They are amazing creatures. Sometimes I find myself missing opportunity because I am having too much fun watching them to try to get just one in the crosshairs!

    Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Another beautiful shot, Terry. This is gorgeous. Thank you for the details. I am going to keep trying, although I only have one external flash to work with.
    Thank you, Terri. I hope my blunderings give you some inspiration. Generally speaking, if you will take what I say I have done and then do the exact opposite, you will nail it!

    And it can certainly be done with one external flash. Go get 'em Terri and I will be looking forward to seeing your results.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    216
    Real Name
    Anne

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    What a beautiful image Terry ..... and it is enhanced by its framing. Well done, Anne

  14. #14
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,722
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Just catching up after having been away over the weekend.

    Just want to add my compliments on a superb image. The background could not have been better in terms of complementing the bird but also providing the highlight against which we can see it (the bird) to best effect.

    A magnificent piece of work.

  15. #15
    Loose Canon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    2,455
    Real Name
    Terry

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Thank you, Donald.

    I appreciate you taking the time to comment, sir.
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 25th July 2012 at 12:26 PM.

  16. #16
    RockNGoalStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    891
    Real Name
    Tommy

    Re: Soar with the Eagles...

    Exquisite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •